OT: Sweetie,Feedies,Mz Razorblades,My little Lioness

Friday morning when I got up and Sweetie greeted me by the door to almost kill me by tripping me up, I did what me and Squire have been doing for the last six months. I went to the sideboard to get one of her Whiska's Pate pouches of food to open up and put into the little monkey dish for her to eat on top of the baker's primative cupboard. We have to stand and guard her as Pester's jumps up there and pushes her aside and she's so old she no longer smacks him back like she used to. She was almost 20. I say was because after she saw the food, for the second day, her purr was a wierd rattle that was kinda scary. And as she tried to eat, I saw she seemed more aggitated than usual. Her senility lately was part of her problem. She forgot that she ate. We fed her anyway. She was gaining weight and despite everything else, she was still agile and loving.

But she stood there looking at the food, and I knew something was wrong. So when she turned away like she was thru, I covered it up to keep Pester's from eating it, and turned to heat up my own oatmeal when she jumped up on the high sideboard. Another spot of hers. As I stroked her greasy head, I bent and did a quick sniff. A familiar, bad smell came from her, not a usual odor. I knew in my heart she was very sick as well as old. It was time.

I woke oldest son up in his room and told him the 20 was on my computer keys. Take Sweetie to the vet this morning, in her box, in a pillowcase which she is familiar with and comfortable with, and please bury her next to Piquito's brother, Percival Pixell down in the woods. I also told him no way was I turning her loose in some woods where coyote would get her. That it was cruel and I felt this was much more humane. And I hated that I had to go to work and have him do this for me. I named her Sweetie after a dear beloved uncle who always called me Feedie Pie was diagnosed with cancer. She was a part of my memory of his remaining time before he died in his sister's home after a long bout with brain cancer. And we were the only two who agreed at one point that I'd miss him because he was dying and he told me that's why he loved me so much. His sister and her husband's only child, the daughter they loved so much they adopted me, and that he felt like I was his own daughter as I grew up around him and the others in the house. (my grandparents had their two youngest sons and oldest daughter living with them their whole lives, the men went to war and came home, the oldest daughter married, brought a child home after she left an abusive husband and they lived with their parents until they both died and left them with no home). I was very close to them my whole life. So losing Bross was hard on me. He was the tender one who always had time to make me laugh.

He also had appreciated that I talked about his cancer like it really was there instead of like everyone else in denial and whispering. We said our goodbye's and I told him I had a young female cat I'd named Sweetie and called Feedies for my endearment, and he told me he knew why and we both had a good chuckle and cry.

So I have lost one of the last Nashville cat's I've had for quite awhile. I lost Sweetie's older brother, Roscoe a couple of years ago. She went quietly Mike said. It didn't take nearly as long as they feared at the vet's and today I got a card from them expressing their sympathy for my grief. Twenty is quite an old age for a cat. And they called Saturday to tell me they had gotten tests back on her blood sample they'd run for the hell of it for free and her liver and kidneys were shutting down. I'd made the right call.

So she rests next to Percival Pixell, a kitten she didn't pay attention to because at the time I brought him home, she had stepped down in the feline matriarchal order of our house. She was my Sweetie. The little Lioness who laid with me while I suffered with my first bout of pneumonia while she healed from a dislocated hip when she slipped off our shed and to the ground. She never forgot she fell and ever after that, she would grab you if you picked her up and cling with razors for fear she'd fall. So I dubbed her Miz Razorblades. She was also the one who put the new dog, Rose in her place when I brought the puppy home eight years ago. She gave the pup a year before she turned in my lap and opened up the soft nose on the dog to let her know it was NOT acceptable to put that nose up her butt to drive her off my lap.

She was a good mother to two fine litters before I had her fixed, and two of her daughters, Phoebe and Honey were sister/children of my childhood friend, Alice who kept them until they died of complications of their life and not ever being fixed in time. One had cancer, the other had diabetes. They made it only to twelve. And Alice has them buried in a wonderful pet cemetary in Arkansas. She adored them quite a bit and they were like her children.

Sweetie was also my Little Lioness because of her cinnamon black ruff around her neck. She was awesome in her prime. Silky black fur, long hair sticking out of her toes. She was the next oldest female in our house after our beloved Fwit passed at almost 18.

She's missed but I know in my heart that she's better and she had a very good life with us. Now Squire will come home and miss the old broad trying to kill him when he gets up to make his coffee in the mornings he's here. I would hear him talking to her as he went and opened up her pouch of food and talked to her. Good cats are a God-send. But I still have Pye, Jenners, Pesters, Polluxx and Piquito and sometimes Whacka Dew comes down the driveway from Miz Mary's house where she lives now and visits me. And I have the two dawgs. I have to say that Sugar never had the luck and experience of Sweetie breaking her in proper. When she turns a year old there will be no older cat to put her in her place and give her a different respect for the cats. Rose knew.

thanks for allowing me to share this. And Sweetie was a perfect garden cat. She never knocked over one houseplant or pot of anything her whole life.

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee.

Reply to
madgardener

Phisherman

Good wishes to you and Sweetie........ I know......

Gatina Simone du Lune, 16 yrs....... Feb. 2001 Nicole 14 yrs...... Mar. 2001

cd, Ariel, Laurel, Molly, Chloe, Mischa, Q, and Caitlin, the Yellow Lab...

Reply to
cat daddy

I have lost Toes, Baby, Lou our deaf, white cat, Fuzzybutt or Nudge, Squirrel, Pie, Fwit, Roscoe, Ozone, Fwit's brother, Stinky Bottles, Smudge, Fairy, Michelle, Deadbolt, 4-5, Boogie, Boots, Clodhopper, Breed the awesome white Lab, golden retreiver mix that broke the dog curse of never having one...Mouse and her brother Dopey, Duncan Squeeker, Popeye, Fwits beloved son, Scratch, Fwit's amazing daughter who became an only cat to a much loved friend who was shot for being in the absolute wrong place at the wrong time who had been renamed Peaches and changed her attitude. ..... Pearl, Stubby Albert Mooch, Storm Trooper, Please?, Mouthy and China-dawg, who briefly replaced sweet and loving Breed before giving the expression giving a dog too much rope to hang itself became a harsh reality...............Persistant "Perci" Pixell..... sweet Peter the talking male parokeet who had a vocabulary of over 90 words and 15 sentences who lived out his life during my early childhood........ I'm sure I've forgotten some important names somewhere, but all our felines and the only canine that took a piece of our heart live in there anyway, wheather I remember the names right away or not. . I keep replacing them because I love them so much. These reflect the last 29 years I've had pets as I wasnt allowed much for dad had asthma.

thanks Cat daddy. you get a (((hug))) from me for the sweet share and thought maddie

Reply to
madgardener

thanks for sharing Phis. You must have had him for quite awhile. They live a long time........((hug)) maddie

Reply to
madgardener
*hugs* Sorry to hear about your Sweetie. I don't know what I'll do when Fred the Rescue Dog's time comes. I got hi from the Homeless Pet Placement group at our local Petsmart. He had been found in a culvert on the north side of town and had been severely misstreated. I am happy to report he is now a fat and sassy 9 years old and a king in complete control of his kingdom :) He is just the latest in a long line of rescues, many of which just showed up at my house. Most had no name and stayed only a short time, except for Weeble the Pirate Dog who was abandoned by an irresponsible breeder because he was a Samoyed who had many birth defects. He had one eye, one ear that wouldn't stand up, no tail, one leg was shorter than the others, and many internal problems but he had the spunk of a much larger dog (just ask the neighbor's German Sheppard who still will not walk down the sidewalk past our front yard) People who have never had a pet just don't understand how much they become a part of our lives and families. Fred goes nearly everywhere with us and has even been smuggled through a drive through animal park where he thoroughly enjoyed himself and did not bark at the animals.

*hugs* and sympathy to all who have lost a much loved friend.

Shell and Fred (aka Stinky Baby, Lard Bottom, Wussy Boy, and Frederick)

Reply to
Shell

Oh Mad, so sorry to hear this. I lost my own Sweetie (she was named Sugar) two years ago - we knew her time had come but she went out one last time, and just never came back. I wish I could've told her a proper goodbye.

Sugar was my bud through many, many changes in my life, and I miss her every day. Funny how our pets can affect us so.

Love, Callen

madgardener wrote:

Reply to
Callen Molenda

We lost Tiki 3 summers ago. He was almost 20.

He is buried by one of our bulb gardens- with a conch shell as a marker.

Love Caryn "Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Reply to
NAearthMOM

I knew in my heart she was very sick as well as old. It was time.

There has to be a special place where all our beloved animal friends go when they pass on into the hereafter. Heaven would not be heaven unless these companions joined us.

Hurting because of your loss.

John

Reply to
B & J

I lost Mitzie my little velcro ol' lady right before Christmas this year. Last year we lost Channie my campaign puppy right before Christmas. It is the pits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Maddie,

Sorry to hear about Sweetie. I hope the good memories keep you when you are feeling heartsick. It's been 7 years, and I still miss my wonderful dog, Caesar, we had for 9 years. Yet, we still share memories of funny things he did and how he made us laugh.

loony

I knew in my heart she was very sick as well as old. It was time.

Reply to
loonyhiker

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:16:37 -0500, "madgardener" wrote: I am very sorry to hear of your loss I think most of us have lost a beloved pet in our lives A few years ago I lost Vixen my german shepard collie mix She was like a second mother to my brother two sisters and I She folowed us every where we went and treated us like four little pups and I never knew what it was like to not have her She was always there and she knew always what was on my mind when I was sad she knew and when I was happy she was too She had four litters of pups in her life and I was there for all of them and once we kept a pup who was stolen and then returned because she cried too much I grew up with Vixen and her pup died before her of a heart failure Vet said it was because he was the runt I lived with her frim the age of five to the age of twenty one One day , my mother said she couldn't get up she was just too old My parents had her put to sleep and never even called me I found out three days agter it happened I was so enraged that they put my child hood friend to sleep and didnt' even have the decency to call me so I could say good bye that I didnt' talk to my mother for a month I know that is silly an not rational but It hurt me I cried my self to sleep two nights in a row It makes me feel a little inmature to admit that but it's true I never wanted a dog after that untill I had children we don't have a dog but now my husband wants em to give away our cat Mr Puss ( Don't laugh my five year old named him) We adopted him from the SPCA only to find he's alergic we've had him for a while now and I stil cant' find a home for him that i feel is good enough every one who says they'll keepp him says they don't want an indoor cat He's afraid of the out side and won't go out So makes my alergies even worse but I want to give him to a caring home that will keep him indoors no luck so far I think I am ruined for pets from now on well we just have to remember the love and the special quality they lent to our lives while we had them and for that we are a little richer despite the hurt that we feel when they are gone Good luck with your dog and other cats and I hope in sharing your experiance you will be comforted . best wishes michelle

Reply to
Michelle