OT: Safety from gun violence

Page 1 of 2
Now we can relax!
HB
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—A new study released today indicates tha t Americans are safe from the threat of gun violence except in schools, mal ls, airports, movie theatres, workplaces, streets, and their own homes.
Also: highways, turnpikes, libraries, places of worship, parks, universitie s, restaurants, post offices, and cars.
Plus: driveways, garages, gyms, stores, military bases—and a host of othe r buildings, structures, and sites.
National Rifle Association C.E.O. Wayne LaPierre applauded the study, sayin g that it reinforced his organization’s long-held position that the Unite d States does not need additional gun laws. “This study makes it abundant ly clear that Americans are in no danger of gun violence except in these is olated four hundred and thirteen places,” he said.
He added that he hoped that the study would spark a conversation “about t he root cause of mass shootings: people who recklessly show up at places wh ere they could be shot at.”
Get the Borowitz Report delivered to your inbox.
Now we can relax!
HB
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)A new study released today indicates that Americans are safe from the threat of gun violence except in schools, malls, airports, movie theatres, workplaces, streets, and their own homes.
Also: highways, turnpikes, libraries, places of worship, parks, universities, restaurants, post offices, and cars.
Plus: driveways, garages, gyms, stores, military basesand a host of other buildings, structures, and sites.
National Rifle Association C.E.O. Wayne LaPierre applauded the study, saying that it reinforced his organizations long-held position that the United States does not need additional gun laws. This study makes it abundantly clear that Americans are in no danger of gun violence except in these isolated four hundred and thirteen places, he said. ___________________________________ LOL. Someone should explain to him what a wonderful example of 'irony' he's just produced. I suspect even if someone did tell him that, it'd go right over his head.

<http://smartgunlaws.org/polling-on-carrying-concealed-weapons/
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<

I agree that LaPierre is pimping for gun manufacturers, and I share your disgust for him. Since 2005, the NRA has collected as much as $38.9 million from dozens of gun industry giants, including Beretta USA; Glock; and Sturm, Ruger & Co., according to a 2011 study by the Violence Policy Center. Brownells, and Barrett Firearms top executives are on the NRA board. Interestingly, both of these companies are distributors or makers of these high-capacity magazines, which are now facing significant criticism and legislative threats because of concerns that they have been linked to many of the mass shootings in the last couple of years. We aren't talking about hunting and target shooting here.
What I can't understand is how you can go totally blind to the killing of other innocent civilians.
"The Israeli army employs a mathematical formula to limit outside food deliveries to Gaza to keep the caloric levels of the 1.5 million Palestinians trapped inside its open air prison just above starvation; a government official later denied that he had joked in a meeting that the practice is like an appointment with a dietician. The saturation, 22-day bombing of Gaza that began on Dec. 27, 2008, led by 60 F-16 fighter jets, instantly killed 240 Palestinians, including scores of children. Israels leading liberal intellectuals, including the writers Amos Oz, A.B. Yehoshua and David Grossman, blithely supported the wholesale murder of Palestinian civilians. And while Israelis blocked reporters from entering the coastal Gaza Stripforcing them to watch distant explosions from Israels Parash Hill, which some reporters nicknamed the Hill of Shamethe army and air force carried out atrocity after atrocity, day after day, crimes that were uncovered only after the attack was over and the press blockade lifted. This massive aerial and ground assault against a defenseless civilian population that is surrounded by the Israeli army, a population without an organized military, air force, air defenses, navy, heavy artillery or mechanized units, caused barely a ripple of protest inside Israel from the left or the right. It was part of the ongoing business of slaughtering the other.
Unarmed civilians were torn to pieces with flechette darts sprayed from tank shells. Several other children covered in burns from white phosphorous chemical weapon rounds were taken to hospitals; a few were found dead with bizarre wounds after being hit with experimental Dense Inert Metal Explosive (DIME) bombs designed to dissolve into the body and rapidly erode internal soft tissue. A group of women were shot to death while waving a white flag; another family was destroyed by a missile while eating lunch; and Israeli soldiers killed Ibrahim Awajah, an eight-year-old child. His mother, Wafaa, told the documentary filmmaker Jen Marlowe that soldiers used his corpse for target practice. Numerous crimes like these were documented across the Gaza Strip.
By the end of the assault, with 1,400 dead, nearly all civilians, Gaza lay in ruins. The Israeli air force purposely targeted Gazas infrastructure, including power plants, to reduce Gaza to a vast, overcrowded, dysfunctional slum. Israel, Blumenthal notes, destroyed 80 percent of all arable farmland in the coastal strip, bombing the strips largest flour mill, leveling seven concrete factories, shelling a major cheese factory, and shooting up a chicken farm, killing thirty-one thousand chickens.
Twelve [years old] and up, you are allowed to shoot. Thats what they tell us, an Israeli sniper told Haaretz correspondent Amira Hass in 2004 at the height of the Second Intifada. This is according to what the IDF [Israel Defense Force] says to its soldiers. I do not know if this is what the IDF says to the media, the sniper was quoted as saying.
- Chris Hedges <https://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/11/04-7 P.S.
Only 44 percent of gun owners who werent NRA members called themselves conservative or very conservative.
[M]ost NRA members (54 percent) wanted to make gun lawslessstrict, only 25 percent of gun owners who were not NRA members felt this way.
90 percent of Americans and 74 percent of NRA members support criminal background checks before all gun buys.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Stupid post...
On Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:54:40 PM UTC-8, Hench wrote:

Which one?
On 11/8/2013 12:35 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

The original you posted. There's no place for it here. It's a dumb joke that everyone gets in their junk email.
There's 1000 political usenet groups to discuss a matter like that, and this group shouldn't be one of them.
Especially from some country that half of us don't live in
On 11/9/2013 8:37 AM, Hench wrote:

Most/all of the stuff he posts is stupid but he does get lively discussions in otherwise dying ng's.
On 11/9/2013 9:16 AM, Frank wrote:

I'll agree that it keeps some conversation going but at least try to find some small relation to gardening.
We get it. America is a crappy place and they shoot each other there alot. How does that make my cucumbers more succulent...
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 6:27:55 AM UTC-8, Hench wrote:

PLEASE!!!! You're speaking of the best country in the world...if we can hold on to what the Founders left us, and take actio to make sure government is about people, not just money!
HB
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 10:11:48 AM UTC-8, Higgs Boson wrote:

BTW, Hench, maybe Santa will bring you a sense of humor for Christmas. You need it, if you're going to have a cow over the very occasional OT post that seems to ruffle your ideological feathers.
HB
On 11/9/2013 1:17 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

You have no idea what my ideological thoughts are. Stop posting off-topic garbage in this newsgroup all the time.
In wrote:

Stop replying to him and maybe he'll go away.
And, your news client has a filter or killfile mechanism.
--
snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

On 11/9/2013 1:11 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Whatever any of that means...
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 10:55:22 AM UTC-8, Hench wrote:

You just showed the NG exactly how much you know about our (or should I say "my" country and its history. Sad but true - there are a lot out there like you, who don't know how good you have it.
Now let's get back to cucumbers. And for goodness' sake, do NOT read any more of Andy Borowitz' satires, or you might bust an artery.
HN
On 11/9/2013 2:12 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I am not American. I don't live in the United States. Why am i supposed to know about that country and it's history?
I have no idea who Andy Borowitz is so it would be very unlikely that I would read anything of that person
How would you know if i had it good or not? you don't know the first thing about me.
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 1:13:15 PM UTC-8, Hench wrote:

HB

Higgs was being ironic. He's telling you that YOU have it good because he knows you aren't in the US.
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 9:36:08 PM UTC-8, Farm1 wrote:

Aw, c'mon Farm1 - I was no way being ironic; I was being patriotic. Bad as things are last few decades, it's still salvageable if we quit being apath etic and letting Wall Street -- dammit, I had a great phrase, broken up wit h ****, but in the end, decided to remain a gentleperson <g>
I didn't know Henchie wasn't in U.S. I haven't a clue where he hangs his wh atever. I did fail to pick up on his line: "Especially from some country that half of us don't live in" I thought he was one of THOSE who are said to comprise about half of the U.S.
Now definitely back to, not cucumbers; too late in the season even in my cl imate, but radishes, lettuce, beets, snow peas, stuff like that.
HB

Now definitely back to, not cucumbers; too late in the season even in my climate, but radishes, lettuce, beets, snow peas, stuff like that. ________________________________ I should have known it'd be too good to be true. I thought I'd hit the jackpot and finally found a destroyer of stereotypes. Now you tell me that you didn't read for comprehenion and weren't using irony.