OT No mention of gardens but....

Page 1 of 2
My friend Don sent me this.
DON'T TAKE ME IF I DON'T WANT TO GO..........
After Mr.and Mrs. Fenton retired, Mrs. Fenton insisted her husband accompany her on her trips to Walmart. Unfortunately, Mr. Fenton was like most men--he found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally unfortunately, Mrs. Fenton was like most women--she loved to browse.
One day Mrs. Fenton received the following letter from her local Walmart.
Dear Mrs. Fenton:
Over the past six months, your husband has been causing quite a commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and may be forced to ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against Mr. Fenton are listed below and are documented by our video surveillance cameras.
1. June 15: Took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in people's carts when they weren't looking.
2. July 2: Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5 minute intervals.
3. July 19: Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, "Code 3 in Housewares. Get on it right away."
4. August 4: Went to the Service Desk and tried to put a bag of M&M's on layaway.
5. September 14: Moved a "CAUTION - WET FLOOR" sign to a carpeted area.
6. September 15: Set up a tent in the camping department and told other shoppers he'd invite them in if they would bring pillows and blankets from the bedding department.
7. September 23: When a clerk asked if they could help him he began crying and screamed, "Why can't you people just leave me alone?"
8. October 4: Looked right into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.
9. November 10: While handling guns in the hunting department, he asked the clerk where the anti- depressants were.
10. December 3: Darted around the store suspiciously while loudly hummingthe "Mission Impossible" theme.
11. December 6: In the auto department, he practiced his "Madonna look" by using different sizes of funnels.
12. December 18: Hid in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled "PICK ME! PICK ME!"
13. December 21: When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he assumed a fetal position and screamed "OH NO! IT'S THOSE VOICES AGAIN!"
And last, but not least ...
14. December 23: Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited a while, then yelled very loudly, "Hey! There's no toilet paper in here!"
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

If Mrs. Fenton is like your typical WM shopper, she would not be able to read the note.
On 9/25/07 4:08 PM, in article bVdKi.17568$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny,

Ah, WalMart, the place were I had to explain to my DD about why some one would have the phrase "white trash" tattooed on her arm for the world to read....

I would have wagered that they were extra terrestrial. Very strange experience, but this IS California, strange, here, is kinda normal.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

On 9/26/07 1:12 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

Nope, in southern New Hampshire. Tattoo was in block letters, allowing the then 6 year old to read it, out loud and be hustled out of the aisle quickly.
Now - I have never shopped WM for food items except the odd candy bar at the checkout, so I have no clue about the prices or quality. I have bought school supplies, fabric, yarn and some clothing. Oh and the odd plant, but never soil products. I think the chain has suffered grievously since Sam Walton passed away and won't go unless there is specific list of items I want and that I know are all there and I don't have much time to hit 3-5 different stores.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I went to a WM and saw a manatee in a tube top.
On 9/28/07 3:03 PM, in article 46fd4f91$0$27200$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net,

Wasn't it uncomfortable out of water?

What a mean spirited SOB.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Tell me something, Bill: If you buy a box of cereal for $3.00 at WM, and a friend points out that the same exact box of cereal costs $2.69 at the grocery store all the time, without a sale going on, what would you say?
Let's extend this: If your local newspaper took a big shopping list to WM and two grocery stores, and found that both grocery stores were significantly cheaper than WM for the exact same list of items, what would be your reaction to that?

Sorry Joe, gotta disagree with you here....Locally 8 times outta 10, Wally world is cheaper than the Food Lion & Piggly Wiggly prices...unless Food Lion has something on the MVP buy. Well, it's cheaper for the regular things on my shopping list, except for meats. Especially for the generic items. I can buy a box of Great Value Honey Nut Spins cereal for $1.87 whereas the same size box of Honey Nut Cheerios at the grocery stores cost $2.69. Diapers, cake mix (for when I cheat instead of making from scratch), can goods, sugars & flours, milk, most frozen goods, breads, baby foods, household supplies, junk foods, etc are all cheaper there. Another example: I can get Bre's diapers at wally world (parents choice) 40 for $5.74 whereas food lion brand diapers are $7 and some change for 40.
Now remember, that just here & using my shopping list... The things on my regular list that I don't buy at walmart: son's training pants (get them at food lion), baby's laundry detergent, & meats. Occasionally the fresh veggies are cheaper at food lion, but only when on sale...

Right. Not in all markets. Here, they are almost never cheaper, and certainly not for a long list of ***GROCERY*** items.
And yet, I know a half dozen people who buy all their groceries at WM, and when shown that they're spending more, will say things ranging from "Whuh?" to "Whatever, but it's still cheaper".
But it isn't. Their evidence is rather odd: It's the big yellow signs which tell them it's cheaper.

If that were true, I'd buy it at the grocery store. In our case one kind we buy is cheaper at Market Basket, the other at Walmart. So we buy it where it's cheapest.

Duh.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Yes. Duh. And yet here, people continue to shop there, even when the local paper does these sample shops which prove that WM is more expensive. Amazing.
Not the same everywhere (established in another thread), and we're talking ONLY about groceries for the moment.

How does the paper compare WM's generics to the other stores?
cheers
oz
expounded:

I haven't seen them do that. But in this particular market, the results would probably be the same as for name brand products. The reasons go deep....
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:08:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Do you wear a necktie?
<Charlie> wrote in message >>> My friend Don sent me this.

No. Why?
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:43:08 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I assumed you didn't.
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

OK. Now, I'm supposed to ask why you assumed that.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 01:15:29 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Duh......yeah!