OT: Need Word Perfect 12 help

Page 1 of 2
Excuse totally un-garden request.. but I just spent an hour looking for a NG or a Board or community or something that could help me get rid of a GIANT font that won't go away no matter what I do.
If anybody happens to use Word Perfect -- which I like much more than Word -- and knows of a source for trouble-shooting this problem, I promise you apricots from my little tree which I HOPE will start bearing in its 3rd year in my garden...
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

don't use it here, but it may help to look for a mode switch or view that allows you to see the entire document contents along with all the formatting information. sometimes this is called source view or something like that.

good luck!
songbird
On 10/6/2013 10:57 AM, songbird wrote:

Also don't know anything about Word Perfect but I see it is still a paid program.
I had MS Office but ditched it when I lost my computer and could not put it on my new one.
I've been using free Open Office which is nearly equivalent to MS Office. Another called Libre Office is free.
I just had to open up a new MS document someone sent my wife and her old MS Word program would not open it but my Open Office would.
On Sunday, October 6, 2013 11:29:24 AM UTC-7, Frank wrote:

Aha! Good tip.

Very interesting! I took a quick look. It said it would Open various programs, but Word Perfect was not listed. However, I will explore further; it might be in there somewhere.
Thanx!
HB
On 10/6/2013 5:49 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I've never seen a Word Perfect document or anything ending in .wpd. Have no idea if Open Office or Libre Office could open them. I do not see the function to same them in Open Office as .wpd.
I had been frustrated like my wife in getting newer versions of MS Word documents that would not open in an older version of Word. I also have some very old MS Word documents that my newer version of Word would not open. Open Office takes them all but won't take old .sam docs - can't even remember program that made them.
rec.gardens:

Libreoffice will open .wpd documents, but it won't save in that format. It can save in in a variety of other formats, though, some of which can probably be opened by Wordperfect.

.SAM files might be from AMI Pro, and old word processor once owned by Lotus in the '80s.
On 10/6/2013 7:47 PM, Nil wrote:

Yes, I discovered that after posting. There are a lot of free online programs for conversion of one file type into another. I often use one to convert pdf's to doc's. One I tried would not take a sam. You could open it in Open Office but would have to extract the usable text from the spinach.
One client I consult for had insisted on using it for their internal documents. Now with their Lotus Notes, they use Word.
I've consulted for nearly 100 clients and have never seen a wpd file.
rec.gardens:

There are web sites that claim to be able to convert Ami Pro files to MS Word. Microsoft's Office Converter Pack used to include an Ami Pro converter, but I don't know if it still does.

You must have missed the Great Word Processor Wars. At one time Word Perfect was the dominant word processor until being challenged by the upstart MS Word. Word won, obviously, but there was a diehard contingent that stuck with WP - a lot of those were law offices. I don't know anyone who uses WP now, but it's still being marketed, so I guess there's still a few out there.
On Sunday, October 6, 2013 7:35:24 PM UTC-7, Nil wrote:

I wasn't aware of the wars, so went ahead blithely (sp?) using WP. After b eing forced to use Word on occasion, I come away thinking Word Perfect is s till by far the more elegant, simple-to-use system. Sounds like there's so me interesting history behind how Msft got their Word to prevail!!!
HB
rec.gardens:

As I'm sure you know, it's not always the technically superior technology that wins the market. I'm not a heavy word processor and I've always mostly used MS Word. It's OK, but it has more features than probably anyone ever uses, and those features can be hard to find when you need them. I tried Wordperfect for DOS back in the day, and I really couldn't figure it out. However, I knew some people who could just FLY on that thing, and they knew all these arcane keystrokes that allowed them to do all kinds of fancy formatting while hardly interrupting the flow of their typing.
I have no trouble believing that WP is the superior word processor, but Microsoft's muscle, plus Wordperfect/Novell/Corel's business weaknesses pretty much doomed WP to a niche market.
rec.gardens:

I found a sample Ami Pro document on line. It opened perfectly in the latest version of Libreoffice.
On 10/6/2013 10:37 PM, Nil wrote:

For some reason, I've been unable to set up Libre Office. Going to have to give it another try. I know that Kim Komando likes it.
My Ami Pro went out with old computer and when company switched to MS Office.
On 10/7/2013 12:30 PM, Frank wrote:

Did download Libre Office and it opens up sam files same as Open Office with the character spinach attached, e.g.
<:#216,9360><:f200,QCourier New,>    MANUFACTURER/DISTRIBUTOR
Also noted that it did not save in Word Perfect format.
I liked their envelope function better than Open Office's and without even giving it an envelope it brought up the last one I had made.
Just something else to play with.
On 10/6/2013 10:57 AM, songbird wrote:

Place the cursor before the point in the document where the font change occurs the activate 'reveal codes' -- this has been a feature of WP since DOS days. In my current version you can activate it by pressing ALT-F3 and that may or may not be the same in your ancient version but 'reveal codes' is always available from the menu. Once you do that you can move the cursor along, watching for the offending font change and then simply delete it.
On Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:14:43 PM UTC-7, John McGaw wrote:

Thanks, John. Problem is: there WAS no font change in a given document. Any time I Open WP, the GIANT font appears.
I suppose I'd better think about upgrading from my "ancient version" (sob)which was working just fine for my modest needs.
Corel Web site says there is only a price reduction for upgrading from X4, so I guess I am back in the Dark Ages.
Question: These X versions are designated "WP Office". Does that mean anything to a home user? Or is it just a name?
Tx
HB
rec.gardens:

I think you can't get Wordperfect by itself any more. It only comes as part of a "productivity suite", including Quattropro spread sheet and other stuff.
On 10/7/2013 1:06 AM, Nil wrote:

I believe that is true but "Corel WordPerfect Office X6 Home & Student" can be had for $45US from Amazon.com so the cost isn't all that bad. This version is missing a few of the bells and whistles but has WP, QP and presentations and that is more than I actually need at home now and is $100 cheaper than the 'full' version. IIRC back in earlier days I paid (adjusted for inflation) more than ten times as much for regular WP and it was an absolute necessity since I was developing software which attached itself to WP to automatically generate and format legal documents.
On 07/10/2013 05:18, Higgs Boson wrote:

I would guess that somehow the template got modified so that that giant font is the default. I haven't used WP since 5.1 for dos (the best word processor ever IMHO - and you should see how fast it does "search and replace" on a modern computer!). If it works the same way, there is a *.dot document somewhere that opens automatically as a *.doc document when you choose "New document" from the file menu. You need to open that *.dot file as a template, modify it by changing the font to what you want, and then saving it as the same *.dot that you opened.

Didn't WP Office include a spreadsheet and presentation as part of an office suite?
--

Jeff

On 10/7/2013 7:31 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

If the bad layout comes up in a fresh document then the default style has gotten screwed up but that is dead simple (at least in recent versions) to fix -- just go into 'reveal codes' and double-click on the [Open Style: DocumentStyle] marker and set it to be whatever you want. IIRC some version of document styles as always been there in WP even if the method of getting to it may be different in earlier versions. A search for 'styles editor' in WP help will probably turn up something.

Don't think so. WordPerfect did not start on DOS. It began life on Data General Eclipse systems running AOS, and was called WordPerfect from the beginning (or close to that). WordPerfect 2.2 was the first version on IBM PC's.

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk snipped-for-privacy@arc.ab.ca