OT: Fragile Warrior

Ewwwwww... And I thought worming them was the worst. Sundance used to fight the vet at worming time. I suppose I wouldn't like that big assed tube shoved down my throat either. I need to email you pics of my new horse Jonsey. I'm trying to put up another website but I seem to have no time these days. Keerisssttt... I'm retired at 51 and I'm busier than when I had a career going 90mph with my hair on fire.
Michael <- getting garden ready, taking care of my 4 housepets, horse, Steven. Planning a major remodel of the house and doing volunteer work.
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf

YOU GOT A HORSE!!! COOOOOOOOL!!! Glad you're enjoying your <cough> retirement <cough> :)

Michael: There are easy ways to do these things...
Don't tube worm your horses. Take an empty wormer dispenser (the squirt kind) and put applesauce or something yummy in it. Squirt it into your horse's mouth, back at the corner of the mouth, where the bit would rest. Get the horse used to the squirt dispenser with non-yucky stuff. Do it once a day or every couple of days. The horse will eventually get over being flinchy about the wormer squirt thingy tasting yucky and won't fight you. Then when it comes time to worm, you won't have to fist-fight a 1200 lb. animal to give it the wormer.
You can use Kaopectate on a horse, if you get the dose right. Do your body weight calc's.
I use the cheap form of Mylanta on beef & dairy cows for acidosis. The official stuff costs $50 for one dose. The generic Mylanta costs about $2.99 for a bottle. A normal 1200# beef cow needs about 6 bottles of it. (Shoved down her gullet with a garden hose, which I know how to do.)
I'm not a vet, so no one should take this as veterinary advise. (The usual disclaimer.) It's just my experience with my critters.
Jan
OB Gardening: composted horse poop is awesome in the garden for adding tilth and fertility to your soil
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Why bother with that, though? You can buy Kaolin at Tractor Supply for $6.00 for a 32 oz bottle.

I've never bothered with self administration of meds to my horses unless it's something that needs to be done on a daily basis. The Kaolin is something I would have to do myself. The worming I've not done myself and never will. I leave that up to the vet on his yearly check up routine. I've had and shown my horses up until I graduated from college. My parents kept all of them until they died of natural causes. When I got out of college the first thing I did was check in to buying, boarding, vetting etc. The cost was astronomical and I could not afford it. Well... in my middle age I find myself able to afford to do it again. Jonsey is a 3 year old rescue thoroughbred and he's a doll baby. He took to hunt seat and jumping immediately, which I've done my entire life. We are now learning dressage (I know, boring to watch as a spectator but very exciting as a participant). I keep him one one of my best friends estates about 2 miles from here. Kris owns a huge home and stables in Ladue. Takes me 2 minutes to get there. She raises and shows Walkers and Hackneys. We have lots of fun together and routinely help her staff care for the horses. She is the most down to earth socialite I've ever met. We have a ball.
Michael <- is looking at another paint mare for barrel racing and trail rides.
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf

Yeah, but Michael, you have to worm horses every other month. Six times a year. I'm a cycle behind right now and worried about worm colic. (Had a shit-fit about it when the mare came down with diarrhea, to be honest.) When she's fit for pasture again, she's gettin' wormed even if that means that the humans have to eat hamburger helper for the rest of the month.
D'argo is the worst, though. Worming him is an exercise in paste application for every available surface. I loves him, tho'. :) And we always have a nice cuddle after everyone is thoroughly covered with sticky paste.
Buy yourself a mini. It'll cut the yard grass for you and no one will ever know you have a horse in your backyard. :)))

Oh, I know about the cycle. I must have misworded what I said. Kris operates the place like clockwork. The vet is there at least once a month if not more. Jonsey is getting his doses on time.

UGH... Fighting D'argo would be a formidible(sp) task. He's huge ;)

If I continue with the gardens as I want to, there will be no grass left in the back yard ;)
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf

There are no Tractor Supply stores in Alaska. The closest feed store to me is in Palmer, about 180 miles away.
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.