OT: Environment credit cards

I am leaving Bank of America, where I have a MasterCard and Visa, both with environmental "affinity" groups. I looked for other environmental/nature/animal welfare cards, but B of A seems to have a strangle-hold on that market.

Since many gardeners, if not most, are attuned to nature, including growing things, I wondered if anybody knew of an environmental Visa or M/C not connected with B of A.

I even looked at my alumni association, and they, too, are in the toils of B of A. Which, BTW, is not the old California B of A with its long history, but some outfit in the South.

(Note: Reason I am leaving is that they cut off services to WikiLeaks (plus they have lousy service). I'm also discontinuing purchase sfrom Amazon, which did the same thing, and letting them know why.)

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I have a Cabelas Visa card which gives back 1% or higher on purchases from them. If you're not into hunting or fishing, they have camping stuff. Got a real nice pair of sheep skin slippers for wife last Christmas for free.

Reply to
Frank

Well, you could get a Ducks Unlimited card which is offered through MBNA. But why don't you just do a google search for '[name of group] credit card' or 'environmental affinity card' and see what you turn up (that is what I just did) and weed out the BofA ones. Or you might check at

and see what they have information about - there are at least a few.

Reply to
John McGaw

MBNA has been swallowed by B of A.

Thanks for message. Actually, I did exactly what you suggest: Plugged in the name of each group, but lo & behold, they are all in B of A's clutches! I didn't find a single of the large enviro groups that wasn't.

I did go to to the green report site you mentioned, thank you, and found an interesting bank called PNC which advertises itself as very "green". I'm in CA and they are in the East, which isn't really a deterrent, since I pay my credit card bills on-line. So I may check them out.

Probably the easiest is just to separate these two things: 1. Increase my giving to [groups], and 2. go for the credit card sthat suit me best.

Appreciate your help.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

You have credit cards... WOW! I thought credit cards went the way of the Dodo bird, just like the small banks. Shirly, I mean surely, you mean Debit cards :)

Reply to
Dan L

The rule from arguing 101: if you cannot use reason to win an argument, use personal insults and try to degrade them. Yelling and screaming also works well in person. Using these tactics only shows the person is not very intelligent.

Reply to
Dan L

"More than anywhere," is it?

Sorry. The USA is not the leader in social mobility. Hasn't been for a while.

This last link is from a set, full set here:

Thing have only gotten worse since.

I was lucky enough to be born white, to a family that stayed intact, did not suffer any serious medical problems and had a father who was able to get an education via the GI bill (came home safe and sound). And, oh yes, I was born and raised in the northeast. One of the more advantaged parts of the country, when I was born.

Oh yes, I certainly worked *very* hard for all that advantage...clever me, choosing my parents. Could have done a whole lot worse.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz