OT - Crimewave question

What is the latest crime wave to hit New York and Washington, D.C.?
TOM KAN PA wrote:

That's an easy one. The Clintons!
<< That's an easy one. The Clintons! >>
Later than that one!
TOM KAN PA wrote:

The Bush Crime Family.
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:06:34 -0700, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."

Marilyn Monroe
On 27 Sep 2003 18:29:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) opined:

George W. Bush, shaking the hand of H.H. The Dalai Lama.
Your momma moving in with the Jeffersons!!!

I guess it's time to give you the answer. All of your answers were good, but unfortunately not the correct one. Here it is:
Drive-by Accordion Solos
Poverty and joblessness.... If there is no legitimate job and no social safety net (unemployment benefits have run out for thousands and thousands of people), crime is the consequence. Crime went down when employment went up.
(I just love that the "Clintons" are being used as scapegoats once again. ..... I do wonder what some would do without these scapegoats - maybe be mature, thinking adults?) DKat

It is called the "periodic plundering principle". Last time it was the Savings and Loans that walked away with billions. This time it will be Haliburton, et al that are going to walk away with the billions of "reconstruction".
This while the infrastructure of the US is going down the tube.
Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@Underworld.com wrote:

http://www.markfiore.com/animation/looting.swf
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

face=Arial> wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt;The Administration is diverting money from our wrecked economy and<BR>&gt; &gt;desperate domestic needs to&nbsp; pour down a Middle East rathole,&nbsp; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<BR>&gt; List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List <BR>&gt; </FONT><A href="http://puregold.aquaria.net /"><FONT face=Arial>http://puregold.aquaria.net /</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial>&gt; </FONT><A href="http://www.drsolo.com "><FONT face=Arial>www.drsolo.com</FONT></A><BR><FONT face=Arial>&gt; Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame<BR>&gt; ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<BR>&gt; Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other <BR>&gt; compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the <BR>&gt; endorsements or recommendations I make.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060703050306070002030908 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I agree with you! My local and our central governments have looked into updating all power lines to underground. It is not being done b/c, the cost to update our archaic technology would be astronomical. Of course, this from a government who thinks it is not unreasonable to ask for 80 billion more to spend on a war which they have yet to truly validate.
Wouldn't it be nice if our govnt was asking for adequate money to be allocated toward the REAL needs of our country. And by that, I don't mean a continued supply of foreign oil, but education, fair healthcare, etc...
No one will speak out??? I think people speak out--but their opinions only carry so far. Politicians pretend to listen to their constituents but they make decisions based on whose back needs to be scratched so that they can gain funding to run for election again. Do we speak out by voting--absolutely, but how much opinion do we really have on who or what we are voting on? How many elections have you decided your vote on the lesser of all the evils? If our only true power is in voting--we need to have more choice/influence on what/who gets voted on.
America likes to promote the facade that we are a govnt. of the people. But we aren't really a govnt of ALL people--we are a government of elite people-spinning their decisions to make it seem like they are working for all the other people, but really just making decisions based on what will be most advantageous to themselves.
D Kat wrote:

--------------060703050306070002030908--
I am coming to the same sad conclusion. It really is beginning to feel like a charade. DKat
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Yes. It's funny how when doing something is advantageous to a politician, they try to pass it off as unquestionably American. But when it's time to clean up the mess, they're all suddenly American't.

What would really be nice is if tax payers had direct input on where their tax money is spent. Hello Politicians Welcome to the Information Age. Right now you're paying what around 30% of your income in federal taxes to be represented by 1 President, 2 Senators, and a Representative. There are 100 senators and less than 500 Representatives. There are over 250 million people in the US. So 250,000,000 / 500 = 500000 ... one Rep. for every 500000 people. Number of minutes in a year: 365 * 24 * 60 525600. So if a Rep. worked non-stop without sleeping for a year (which they don't), each person could get a little over one minute of his/her time. Ratios for President and Senators are left as an exercise for the reader.
Of course you get some of the money back in the form of services you'd like to have, but why should I entrust my money to a group of people who think of America as one giant credit card. One of the vaunted assertions about capitalist economies, is that the cream supposedly rises to the top. But what we're seeing is a bunch of gross incompetence under a veneer of patriotic flag waving.
You wan't more missles? Run your own damn bake sale.

Talking about it isn't going to solve anything. Things will change when people stop funding the government. But the government already has your Social Security money, so who's going to do that.

"United We Stand" is just a euphemism for "Blindly We Follow".
I think people deciding where their tax money was spent is an absolute wonderful idea. Those who want to fund bombs could have a high % of their taxes be allocated for such things and those who don't could put it into other things. Most Americans do NOT have a clue how their money is being spent. When asked most Americans think that 10% of their taxes is going for foreign aid (it was less than 1%). In actuality almost 50% of our taxes goes to fund the military (you have to include retirement benefits, interest on the debt - that part raised for increased military spending, and all the hidden cost and even without that it is a huge percentage). A large percentage is used just to run the government itself. When it comes down to it very, very little is used to fund those things you most often hear people complain about... for example, the military marching bands get far more funding than our federally funded arts/music programs.
Yes, I really like that idea. It would drive the congress and executive office mad to be forced to spend the money as people want it spent rather than on their pork and what gets them money for re-election. (it would be utter chaos though). DK

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

The current (p)resident and congress.
Next question.
Jan