OT: Child Abuse

The do! They do! And I just learned about it this week on a new PBS series with Joy S. Reidenberg and Mark Evans.
http://www.pbs.org/program/sex-wild/
Most orangs do not survive into late adulthood in the wild, and none had thoroughly examined with ultrasound and a work-up . When one, who had been given a c-section many years ago (first time for that, too. It was done on the isle of Jersey), was recently followed up by the same human OB/GYN who had done the section, to confirm whether she was healthy enough to be mated and carry to term, it was discovered that she was post menopausal. It was news to them all. Big finding.
Boron
On 07/25/2014 10:03 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

Fascinating!
On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 09:06:05 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

even if I wanted to, so PLEASE let's not go there!!!

This part of the whole paleo diet discussion got me to thinking. The transition was not hunter gatherer to agriculture, there was an intermediate step. Nomadic herder, which still exists today. It also brought us milk and yogurt and cheese. I think that milk products are a much more important paleo diet constituent than is currently popular. By the same token it takes a more agrarian society to develop eggs as a common foodstuff. Also the lack of refrigeration means as much meat as possible was stored as dried products e.g. jerky. Also precooked and dried sausages.
?-)
On 07/26/2014 04:56 PM, josephkk wrote:

Hi Josephkk,
Humans are as successful as we are because we are omnivorous and not locked into a specific food source. The pages of extinction are full of those that were locked into a single food source. So, I would posit that we ate EVERYTHING! And Grok definitely did herb animals. And, we only got into trouble when we got too cleaver for ourselves and came up with plants with unnatural concentrations of carbohydrates.
The discussion on dairy gets a lot of attention in Paloe circles. Here is a fascinating paper from Mark Sisson on the subject. Note that the problems with dairy are mainly "low fat" dairy. The paper is well documented:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-fat-healthy-paleo-primal/
And, yes, full fat dairy is Paleo.
-T

Uhhm, no. It is called survival at the time. The term "work" is an invention of industrial society.
?-)
On 07/26/2014 05:28 PM, josephkk wrote:

True. Although before the industrial age, a lot of folks worked their asses off.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Boron Elgar said:

Well, that's news. But so far as we know, wild chimps don't. They just keep having babies. (Like old Flo, from Jane Goodall's Gombe Research Station.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
Todd said:

My daughter suggests you investigate the concept of Inclusive Fitness.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On 07/28/2014 06:36 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Does she have a favorite link?
Todd said:

No, just discussed this with me based on her most recent (graduate level) evolutionary biology class.
Maybe start here: <http://www.genetics.org/content/176/3/1375.full Also: <http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822 (13)0626-X>
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On 07/30/2014 06:39 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Hi Pat,
Tell your daughter "thank you".
Fascinating stuff about altruism and cooperation in nature.

Dead link. Rats. Waited too long.
-T

even if I wanted to, so PLEASE let's not go there!!!

Humans and most (if not all) of our nearest relative species are OMNIVORES. This is also supported by human teeth morphology.

That seems to have some basis. A bit tenuous yet, there is no doubt that we bred the grains for higher yield in tons of human food per acre though.

On 07/30/2014 07:47 PM, josephkk wrote:

Now to use our inventiveness to up the fat and down the carbs.