OT - can opener

Page 2 of 2

Swingaway manual can opener here, too. Has rubbery/vinyl type handle coating. I've had the same one for about 20 years. Once in awhile I dunk it in the dishpan and scrub the cutter wheels with an old toothbrush or just plunk it in the dishwasher.......still works like a charm. I think I picked mine up at Ace Hardware. See link for easy to identify visual aid... http://www.kitchenkapers.com/5666.html
Val
"Val" wrote:

I've been using my Swing-A-Way for more than 40 years... it opens cans perfectly every time, any size, any configuration... I'm sure it will last another 40 years. I typically wash it by hand but every so often, about once a month, I remember to put it into the dishwasher, not a speck of rust on it. I don't remember what I paid for it back then, probably less than $2. Mine has white vinyl clad handles. I have a second one packed away with my camping gear in a small back pack type carrier that I grab whenever I go on a road trip.
Val wrote:

I had a Swingaway for many years, but it was wall mounted. It could be turned so it would sit against the wall when not in use -- hence the name "Swingaway" -- and it could be lifted off the mount for cleaning. Worked wonderfully. I think we left it at that house when we moved.
Target carries it, as do many other stores.
helco

I got my mother, who has a touch of arthritis, a "One Touch" can open last year. It works great. If you open a lot of cans you will need to keep some "AA" batteries on hand. I have one also $20. Just open all cans in the sink for liquids stuff. I negative part is that when the batteries get weak it can be a pain to get device off the can. All in All, I still like it over all other can openers.
http://www.onetouchopener.com/?cid17906
Black & Decker also makes a hands free Jar Opener. I believe one can get these items at most department stores.
Hmmm.. I believe dry dog food is better for dogs than can dog food unless your dog has dental problems and can't chew very well.
Enjoy Life ........ Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Dioclese wrote:

I've been using a Swingaway chrome plated w/red vinyl handle covers for at least 20 years now. It has been skipping lately which is annoying, especially hard to open small cans like tomato paste. The can slips out from the grip, and the blade may have become a little dull, but it's so darn handy.
Many cans have tab openers now. And some have curved bottoms that don't give you a second chance if you mess up the first try on top. I have to be careful not to cut myself with some of the contortions I've been through trying to pry a partially-opened lid up.
Now that you brought it up, I'll get a new one ASAP even though I have an electric one.
One of my big pet peeves is when the tab breaks on sardines, etc. Then out come the pliers and whatever works to save the contents. Sometimes I can still open them with a regular can opener.

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 06:30:08 -0600, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Gone through various brands until I got an Oneida. Has been working great for three years. It cuts differently than the rest. About $12.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

I have an electric Hamilton Beach. I received it as a present so I don't know the cost. Been using it for 3 years and tossed the Swingway last month. It seldom worked with my hands.
BetsyB
Oh. I stick with manual can openers for multiple reasons. Other than the limited countertop space, I have an all-electric home. (except the bbq) If, per chance, I lose power to the house for more than a few hours, I have no way of cooking. Chances are the local area stores and eateries will close during such a dilemma. So, the only reasonable alternative is to eat out of can. That requires a manual can opener that works.
--
Dave
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...
Dioclese wrote:

Swingline manual can opener. Have had one I bought in Colorado for 28 years, bought a new one a few years ago, just for back up. Took the older one (which is the same exactly) and it opened 15 gallon cans today just fine at my new job. It opens small cans of dog food or cat food or people food just as easily. and is made to do heavy duty work. IMO
madgardener