OT - can opener

J.C. (no pun intended). Haven't seen one of those in decades. Such an opener, primary use when I was young was opening juice cans. If you were desperate, without a bonafind can opener, you could also use it in repetition to open a can. Looks like I'll have to get an oldie but goodie to complete the job. Another tool in the kitchen drawer.

Speaking of cans, have noticed that many canners are making unstackable cans. Won't interlock the bottom with the top, making stacking a balancing affair. I like to keep my pantry well stocked with canned goods. Rained/snowed/iced in and so forth. When's the noise from all the newfangled stuff gonna stop. Gettin' worse, not better. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

On 12/8/07 11:28 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy" wrote: (snip)

Do they lock mosques?

Snicker!

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I use one all the time to open certain things

Supposedly, that is to eliminate seams that can deteriorate over time. I stack pyramid style now.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Sure there were once keys to open a mosque, and inside you're find a muslim:

Sheldon

Reply to
Billy

Swingline manual can opener. Have had one I bought in Colorado for 28 years, bought a new one a few years ago, just for back up. Took the older one (which is the same exactly) and it opened 15 gallon cans today just fine at my new job. It opens small cans of dog food or cat food or people food just as easily. and is made to do heavy duty work. IMO

madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Will keep the pyramid thing in mind next time I restock the canned goods.

Canned good are good for a year or 2 per drop dead date on can labels. So, I can't see the seam thing as valid reason for modifying the bottom of the can. And, doesn't explain why they can't make the top interlock with the bottom of same identical can irregardless. Think we been flim-flammed for economical can sake. Don't think its gonna stop. Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

On 12/10/07 12:26 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Dioclese" wrote: SNIP

Like I said - "supposedly". I suspect that extruding the can bottom up saves a ton of money and materials. Less metal and less welding. Design could have been friendlier.

I'm not buying a lot of canned food - mostly tuna, stewed tomatos and soups. But my new favorite soups are glass jars (Trader Joes). Now those don't stack at all.

Cheryl Isaak

The new extruded cans are far less costly to manufacture and are a better sealed product. The design is friendly, all you need is a can opener that works... what's the point of getting a second chance on the opposite end with the same old lousy can opener. Anyway, more and more cans are being made with pull tops.

Sheldon