OT - can opener

Page 1 of 2
Something's buggin me. Rather insignificant at first. Now, its becoming a problem. Its the manual can opener. I regularly open two small cans of dog food a day, people food less often regurlarly. Use a manual can opener as I have small acreage on the countertop. In the past 2 years I've tried one electric initially that couldn't hold most cans including the dog food can in place to cut the top. So, I figured manual would be best. Some last a couple of months, some don't work right at the get-go. There are 2 common failures. The cutting wheel bends at the axis point, AND/OR, the geared friction wheel fails to turn the can. Less common during those failures is the handle cover falls off. Also, the closing of the handles goes beyond its intended closure to maintain hold of the can; twisting and bending the closing axis point of the handle fulcrum point. The only problem with the standard all-metal type is that it won't do all can sizes, at least that's what I've found.
Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are you folks using? How long has it been used?
--
Dave

Dioclese wrote:

months and works like new. Before, I used to tell my wife that we can put men on the moon but cannot make a decent can opener ;)
Frank
On 12/4/07 8:14 AM, in article LLWdnTH-j4daz8janZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com,

I'm getting myself one of the OXO manuals when I spot one next. Don't know the price but it is a dream to use. Used my cousins to open 10 cans of cranberry sauce and it was painless on these old hands.
BUT - have you thought about one of the under the cabinet ones? Mine is ancient and still works great!
Cheryl Isaak said:

I've got an OXO manual. Been very reliable and comfortable to use.

Live near Wimberley, TX. Closest places are Ace Hardware, Dollar General, a Feed store, and a grocery store. At Ace, I did find an OXO Goodgrips model Model# 30081. Has built-in lock that locks when closing, just turn the handle to open. Price: $14.97. Unconditional warranty. Could not find any Swingaway mentioned by others. Talking manual can openers. Remainder that I've found locally are all the junk 1 buck can openers I've all already tried.
Closest big box store is 17 miles away. Not worthwhile to drive 34 miles round trip for a can opener.
My dogs are getting skittish as they aren't getting their regular canned dog food in the a.m. mixed with chew bones on the bottom of the bowl. Think I'll try the OXO model mentioned for hopes of a good can opener, or, giggles for my fruitless search at worst.
Dave
On 12/6/07 7:20 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Okay, got the OXO. The dogs are happy. OXO will not penetrate bottom of this specific dog food can, like the cheap can openers did. I like to puncture bottom so the dog food slides out easily. Vacuum problem.
Normally, I slide out the contents, wack off with a knife in one bowl, then slide the remaining contents into the 2nd bowl. Dave
On 12/8/07 9:54 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Good luck with it.....have you tried using a church key to open the bottom to air?
http://www.just-for-openers.org/Church-Key.html
(second set of pictures)

Can you imagine the amount of protest, if this was called a Mosque key?
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
On 12/8/07 11:28 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au, "Billy"

Do they lock mosques?
Snicker!

Sure there were once keys to open a mosque, and inside you're find a muslim:
http://www.geocities.com/jscraton/spam.jpg
In article

Shelly, you are a waste of space.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

J.C. (no pun intended). Haven't seen one of those in decades. Such an opener, primary use when I was young was opening juice cans. If you were desperate, without a bonafind can opener, you could also use it in repetition to open a can. Looks like I'll have to get an oldie but goodie to complete the job. Another tool in the kitchen drawer.
Speaking of cans, have noticed that many canners are making unstackable cans. Won't interlock the bottom with the top, making stacking a balancing affair. I like to keep my pantry well stocked with canned goods. Rained/snowed/iced in and so forth. When's the noise from all the newfangled stuff gonna stop. Gettin' worse, not better. Dave
On 12/9/07 12:46 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Supposedly, that is to eliminate seams that can deteriorate over time. I stack pyramid style now.
Cheryl

Will keep the pyramid thing in mind next time I restock the canned goods.
Canned good are good for a year or 2 per drop dead date on can labels. So, I can't see the seam thing as valid reason for modifying the bottom of the can. And, doesn't explain why they can't make the top interlock with the bottom of same identical can irregardless. Think we been flim-flammed for economical can sake. Don't think its gonna stop. Dave
On 12/10/07 12:26 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote: SNIP

saves a ton of money and materials. Less metal and less welding. Design could have been friendlier.
I'm not buying a lot of canned food - mostly tuna, stewed tomatos and soups. But my new favorite soups are glass jars (Trader Joes). Now those don't stack at all.

The new extruded cans are far less costly to manufacture and are a better sealed product. The design is friendly, all you need is a can opener that works... what's the point of getting a second chance on the opposite end with the same old lousy can opener. Anyway, more and more cans are being made with pull tops.
http://www.silgancontainers.com/products_cans_2pDI.asp
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 08:54:10 -0600, Dioclese <NONE> wrote:

Ice pick or sharp, small screwdriver.
Kay, who prefers Swingaways and is still using one ca. 1973.
"Dioclese" wrote:

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

I don't remember what it costs, but I've been using Swingaway manual can openers for years. I haven't run into a can yet that challenged this tool. I got mine at the supermarket, but I've also seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens & Things, and sometimes hardware stores.