OT: Bessy will become beef soon :(

Page 3 of 3

Here it would be a little on the chewy side, since the avg. age here for slaughter is 18 mo. which will have more meat and less bone. Been there done that, won't do it again.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True

You explained nothing we all didn't already know... and it's you who does all the arguing, all based on pure lunacy and a super inflated ego... milk cow is not a breed, milk cows are of all breeds too. There is no way you're a farmer, you prove that with every post you make... you've never seen a farm except in picture books. Btw, a two year old cow that's never produced milk will yield excellent meat. It was wiser to butcher her now than to risk allowing her to age another year and become dog food.

I suppose that what spices and marinades are for. I will accept lower grades of beef to save some money. I will try again for the dairy cow since I have the setup for keeping a cow.

Hello there Lee - long time no see. What have you been up to?

It has been busy here this June. Last month everything was wet and rained almost every day. June here is coming along nice here for me. I have some low spots in which I will fill today that still is a bit mucky, yes that is a technical term.
The sun is shinning. A little rain shower every other day so I do not have to water everything by hand. I have ten pots of Begonias that I started from seed to plant around the yard. I think I will get my bicycle out clean it up and go for a ride. It has been in the basement for the last three years.
The biggest change is that my Mom 85 years old, now lives with me. Her health and mind is in good shape, except she has AMD, A-Macular Eye Disease. She has been taking these shots in the eye for years. Now her good eye went also. She can see, but vision is limited. When her second eye went, she can no longer drive.
Good thing I am retired myself now. I now have the time to help out. I got a new big button phone and printed out a her personal phone listings in big print. One page per person on her list in a binder. She is now happy that she is able to call people. She has not been able to call her friends the last few months. I programmed the TV remote for her favorite stations, she had a hard time changing channels because she could not see the small numbers. Same with the radio preset buttons.
She has her mind and in good physical shape for the most part, also loves to be in the garden. She can see but it is limited. I am just grateful that I got my early retirement just in time.

Is your name Lee too?

Nope, my name is not Lee. Miss read it... Sorry :) I use the pen name is Nad. And Nad or Dan is not my real name either :)

knitting lace. got a nice Kromski Minstrel so i'm working on getting my yarn down to lace weight (and making bulky is damned difficult! i got the bulky flyer & big bobbins too). doing a little gardening, only 11 varieties of tomatoes this year. i put in some cherry trees, an apple, gooseberries & jostaberries. oh, and i rooted a branch off my black mulberry in NY & brought it to NH. it seems to be growing pretty well. lee

More power to you! I keep looking at Orenberg and Shetland patterns and giving then a wide berth despite the fact that I have the long and very fine needles and I even have 2 different colours of suitable yarn. Life is too short ATM. I'm still sometimes making my bobbin lace though. I spend most of my time knitting socks although I am nearly finished a jumper/pullover/sweater for Himself. I'ts woold for which I didn't ahve a pattern so have had to make it up as I went along and had trouble with both the sleeves and the neck. The sleeves are now right but I'm not yet finished the second knitting of the neck region.

Nice! I was reading about them in one of my older 'Spin Off' mags just the other day. They look lovely. I've now got 3 wheels.
I've also been reading up on Schacht looms. I fancy getting a Wolf. Trouble is the price to ship one to Oz may be more than I'd care to pay but I haven't yet asked the question. the other irritqting thing is that the Schacht agent is over in Western Australia so a whole continent away (and I know Schacht want' ship direct whent hey have and agent in a country)..
so i'm working on getting

:-)) It certainly is difficult once you learn to spin finer grades. I suspect I couldn't spin a real bulky now to save myself.
i > got the bulky flyer & big bobbins too).
Not something I'd bother with I must admit, but then it's probalby not as cold here as where you are.

:-)) sounds like life is keeping you as busy as ever. It's been nice to see your post and hear what you're up to. Please keep looking in occasionally.
Nad R wrote:

huh!

i'd say something about pigmy goats here if i had an ounce of humor...

and at least you know how it was fed. much better than cityfied meat.
songbird

Not knowing anything about cows I am wondering why she has to be killed. Is it because of the false pregnancy? You don't seem happy about it so I take it you are doing it reluctantly.
Paul

Cost money for feed. Beef is better when young. Chance of another failed insemination greater. This was her second chance at being impregnated. May be better to get another cow. Dairy cows in order to provide milk needs to have a calf. Without calf no milk. Calves that are male become beef. Sucks to be male in the cattle world. Otherwise dairy cows can live for many years with a good life.
As I stated earlier. I am new to this cow business also. This is a non garden topic. I will probably let the thread end.

Hard to make cheese and butter from milking a steer ;O)