OT 'BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!'

Page 2 of 3

Well I did live in the ne Ohio snow belt for 20 years, so I did get acquainted with shoveling snow, scraping ice, dead batteries, walking in a blizzard, and 20 pairs of identical black "galoshes" with no names all sitting in the hallway dripping snow melt! :^> We had about 3 snow days built in the school calendar, and if we went over those 3, then days were added on in June. I was not a bit sad when it came time to move back to California..... now I can drive 30 miles and play in the snow and come back to dry. Emilie

of
acquainted
There are worse places than Ohio in the winter, but I'm happy you are enjoying your California home and weather. To be honest, I prefer a four season climate with occasional snow in the winter that melts in a couple of days. Our winters gives me a period that I can stay out of the yard and think about what I want to plant in spring. We did have a couple of unusually warm days about a week ago (upper 60's) that drove me to clean out winter weeds from perennial beds. Today we had a high of 42, which allowed me time to sit in the sunroom and work on seed orders without feeling guilty about neglecting something outside. :)
John
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com expounded:

No, actually, schools are closed to give everyone a four day weekend. Well, not everyone, just those lucky enough to be off on Monday. Mainly teachers <BSEG>
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Ann, That evil little thought crossed my mind too! Cheryl
expounded:

As a former teacher, that is an EVIL thought. If we had closed schools every time the thermometer reached -10 in MN, we would have missed at least half of January and part of early February. The one day schools were closed because of extreme cold (-40 state wide), we teachers were required to make up the time on a Saturday.
When temperatures reached -20 or lower during the years I was teaching, I made it a point to walk the mile to school because it was too much of a hassle to worry about my car starting. Everybody had a set of jumper cables in the trunk, but there were times when vehicles had to be towed to a heated garage in order to get them started when gas lines froze.
John
On 1/17/04 11:35 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "B & J"

Hey - want to come teach in NH? We could use you and its warmer here! Seriously, there a lot of cases of frostbite the previous two days - kids just weren't dressed properly for the cold and lots of buses ran late 5-10 minutes. I can imagine between that and the heating costs (there is a constant stream in and out of all the buildings), it was the wiser move.

It really comes down to proper dress - if you have it you're fine, but heaven help you if you have no clue.
Cheryl
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:04:05 GMT, Cheryl Isaak >>>>> Lol. Schools are closed in New England because its cold in the winter.

Kids weren't dressed properly, don't they teach that in school? Some common sense classes may be in order:)
Swyck
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com expounded:

I see your smiley, but.......that is really the parents' responsibility, dontcha think? Then again, I think some parents missed those classes!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

I see the parents as being at fault there. Let the kid go out in shorts and its -10 and 35 mph winds; not even transfusions of common sense would work there.
Letters did go home on proper dress for winter did go home at least once this year, three times for the kindergarten. Cheryl
It's not the schools - it is the parents. You have to have training and get a licence for just about everything except for what is most important to our society - being a parent. I was appalled a couple of years ago to see a young girl (at most 7 years old), standing outside in sub freezing weather waiting for the bus wearing a short skirt with light tights and shaking with the cold. The mother was watching warmly from inside the house. They had recently moved in next door and had lived in Florida. What do you do at moments like that? Pull over (was driving to work) and say "this isn't Florida and your child needs winter clothing you idiot"? DKat

every
half
5-10

Precisely why schools need to teach things like this. There are classes on having a baby, but after that parents are on their own. If they didn't learn something from their parents, or haven't learned it on their own, how are they going to pass it on to their kids? I agree that parents should teach their kids, but they can't teach them something they don't know.
This also gets to a discussion on what's the purpose of a school and an education. If its just to study academic courses (read'n rit'n 'n rithmetic) then it doesn't belong. However, I've heard that the point of a school is to prepare kids for life. In that case, teaching kids how to prepare for a bitterly cold day in New England is in scope. A lot more useful and practical then memorizing what year Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

snip
Swyck
But one letter home, a year, to the parents should be enough. After 10, they should know better! Cheryl
On 1/19/04 12:12 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Yep, you are absolutely right - I lost sight of that in my rant. I wasn't thinking in terms of parenting classes. I was thinking in terms of the schools teaching children how they should dress... I don't see dressing taught as a class (well it could be part of the health class) but any teacher who notices a child that is not dressed for the weather should certainly investigate and deal with the cause (not enough money to buy close, parents don't have a clue, etc.)
I'm a very strong believer that parenting classes be required in schools and that there is head start for those children that come from disadvantaged homes starting at as early of age as possible. The formative years are from birth to 4 years of age and by the time schools get some kids it is too late for them to ever catch up. I had a friend who was doing research in the city and had mothers in with their babies from different areas of the city. One young mother who obviously cared about her baby enough to be involved in the study noticed another mother talking and interacting with her baby. Later this mother asked the researcher if she was supposed to be talking to her baby. Kids having kids think their babies are dolls that you just put a bottle in their mouth, change them when necessary and that is it. They aren't "bad" parents. They just don't have a clue and we are so isolated from one another in society now that there is no one there to show them.
People are so penny wise and pound foolish. They don't want to spend pennies to make sure children are educated properly and then they spend the pounds to build prisons and cover the cost of crime.
DKat

see a

weather
with
had
kids
move.
I sure would have been tempted to stop! Cheryl
On 1/19/04 10:10 AM, in article

every
half
Thanks for the invitation, but no thanks. I subbed in the school where I taught for a few years after I retired, but after we moved to our new location that ended. After thirty-five years in the classroom, I found the last ten years far less pleasurable than the first twenty-five. This latter period was when students gained court ordered rights, which meant keeping students in my class no matter how disruptive they were, and cutbacks in school funding increased class sizes (35-40). The things that kept me going were the many great kids with which I worked and the fact that I was never bored. I guarantee that it wasn't the salary!

That definitely is a parental responsibility, and often it's the parents and the kids who have not clue, particularly in the lower grades. Vanity does cause frost bite to some kids, particularly junior/senior high girls.
John
On 1/19/04 12:21 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "B & J"

Ah - the entire reason I never chased that Masters in education, the pay would be ok, but the powerlessness to discipline would have driven me nuts.

Amen to that. I heard through the grapevine someone had frostbite on her belly and the piercing there was affected. (man the things that go flying through town!)
Now - how the parents can have no clue when multiple letters come home via backpack express and it's on the news and in the paper, it completely beyond me! Cheryl
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:21:34 -0600, "B & J"

Where did you teach? And what level? A friend in Nevada teaches 3rd grade and says her normal class size is 20-22; this year, due to transfers, she's down to 16. I swear I remember 28-32 from my (long ago) public school education.
Where in Nevada? Las Vegas has a great deal of money and the rest of the state is very rural where class sizes are still small. Most of the U.S. has serious problems right now with class size. My son a couple of years ago had his home room in a closet. Literally - no joke. Most classes now have 30-40 students in them. What we are expecting out of our teachers is criminal. It doesn't help at all that the W education bill on manditory testing requires schools to spend $500/student when they are only given ~$90/student. This has meant our already very high property taxes have to be raise and many of the things our students previously had have been cut. It is well known that a 2nd language must be taught before the age of 12, that music taught at an early age helps develop the brain to enable it to do higher math later on, that the best thing you can do for a childs education is to keep classes below 12 children/teacher. These are the first things to go now. It is such a crying shame. I have never seen such irresponsible spending by any Federal administration in my lifetime and I'm 55.
D Kat
wrote:

the
latter

Elko. Small, but not a one-school town.
Whoo I'm glad I live in Houston where its a pleasant 68 F ith a high of 70 F today. Of course we have a flood warning until 6 am Saturday but hey it's warm :) My mostly wild rose is starting to bloom again.
Shell