OT 'BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!'

Page 1 of 3
I hope everyone is safe and in a nice warm place tonight. the temperature in Ottawa, Canada is at present -24C with a windchill factor of -42C with high north winds. All you folks in 'warmer climes' are lucky this night. Hope you all keep warm and think spring

snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Helen J. Foss) expounded:

It's -7.5F on my digital thermometer, but all the weather people are saying it's -10F out there, at 6 am this morning.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

-10 just south of Manchester NH! and no school! Cheryl
never fear, warmer weather is heading your way. it is 26 at 9am in Milwaukee. Ingrid

All sorts of new local records, except on top of Mount Washington! There it only got to -45F Cheryl On 1/16/04 10:15 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news-server.wi.rr.com,

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com expounded:

Thanx, Ingrid. It's supposed to be 35 on Sunday....we'll be outside in shorts! <G>
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

258 closings today! Cheryl
and here is Eastern Tennessee, it's a balmy 44o F.............. madgardener who filled all the thistle socks, bird feeders and put out the last of the suet blocks today for all the hordes of flying dinosaurs................

BAWL! spring!
On 1/16/04 11:53 AM, in article 40082da7$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.vic.com, "madgardener"

let me correct that temperature.....it's actually 39o F.....................I forgot to reset the temperature on my Acurite thermometer madgardener

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:37:36 GMT, Cheryl Isaak

Swyck
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Sign of the times. Superintendents are concerned about liability because some student got some frostbite waiting for a school bus last week. I guess with our mobile society, people don't know how to prepare for cold weather any more. Everyone in New England is "from away".
On 1/16/04 1:06 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@haystack.mit.edu, "Dwight

Cheryl
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:
Sign of the times. Superintendents are concerned about liability because some student got some frostbite waiting for a school bus last week. I guess with our mobile society, people don't know how to prepare for cold weather any more. Everyone in New England is "from away".
Humphf. I remember when I was a little girl, we used to put bread loaf bags over our socks, and then slide our feet into big moon boots, in order to walk to school in a blizzard ( up hill both ways of course).
Heidi (who used to live in the UP of Michigan. Go UP'ers!)

I'm no Up'er, I'm from Grand Rapids, but I too remember putting plastic bags over my feet so my feet wouldn't get wet in my boots. And I also walked to school, uphill, both ways :o)
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

as walk up hill both ways in -30 F the way I had to in northern MN? ;-)
John

Nah, you got me beat....but I do remember if the temperature went below -10 they cancelled school, cuz we did all walk there. No family had two cars so the kids could get a ride!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

I had to walk a total of 4 blocks on a nice level sidewalk. Sometimes it was Raining or Foggy!! the worst thing we encountered was "Old Lady Grumpo" who would wait at her dining room window and screech at us, "You kids STAY OFF my grass". So of course, perverse little monsters that we were, we would all be sure to put a foot on her lawn. Emilie

having to contend with a grump on the way! I'm surprised your parents weren't charged with child abuse. ;-)
In all honesty, I don't miss the extreme cold and snow a bit. Getting out of northern MN was the best "move" we ever made.
John