OT: Anti-virus

Traffic being a little light, I venture to launch a request for anti-virus recommendations. I am unloading Avast. Below, a mere sketch of performance :
I had been using Avast, though their customer support was iffy. Then one o f their salesmen sold me a package for $179/year He rhapsodized that Avas t would fix anything that went wrong with my computer -- ANYTHING!
Well, how can you turn down a miracle like that??
Shortly afterwards I contacted them for help on [minor problem]. Via Chat, with me sitting patiently at the computer, their tech was unable to fix [m inor problem], so he did a System Restore, which I coulda done meself.
In recovery from long session, but with BIG problems piling up, I tried aga in a few months later. After hours and hours of chats over a period of two days with a succession of equally inept techs (fights to refrain from post ing details), I realized this was going nowhere; I was worse off than when I started.
I tried to email my complaint but it came back with suggestion to use site. I will do no more automated communication with these thieves. Sent an (e xpensive) Certified mail return receipt a week ago with a detailed complain t. Receipt returned, but nothing else. Complaint dropped into a well.
Upon reflection, it occurred to me that maybe I had *never been protected a gainst virus*, because email I received from people had a "protected by Ava st" at the end. Wouldn't surprise me, given the level of their customer sup port.
Rant ended, with the fervent hope that nobody will even THINK of using Avas t. (ISTR they are headquartered in Germany but have offices in US), I launc h my plea:
Anybody recommend a free or low-cost anti-virus they have been satisfactori ly using over time?
TIA
HB
On 08/17/2014 08:23 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Hi Higgs,
You a dude or a chick?
I sell (only in two counties) Kaspersky. My favorite is the Internet Security Suite. You can pick it up for cheap at Walmart. (You can go in disguise, I won't tell anyone. Well maybe a few. But, only a few!)
I like Kaspersky as they make it easy for me to sell. Their Business tech support is good; their home support is just so-so. My distributor has a license desk, I call them with what I want, and they give me a price and part number.
Bit Defender does well too and has a free home edition. They are harder that hell to sell because of their cheesy business practices. But, if this is for your home, it shouldn't be an issue.
If you want to research it yourself, go to
http://www.av-comparatives.org/
and start here:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/performance-tests/
They torture these things. Check the results of several months for consistency. (Kaspersky does the best.)
Not that M$ Security Essentials is considered the "base line" for the tests: that is on purpose. I will explain, if you are curious and tell me if you are a dude or a chick.
Whatever you do, stay away from Norton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDzarJOJNQ

By the way, if you are only doing web surfing and eMail, plus some work processing, consider Fedora Linux. Very fast and robust. And you don't need an Antivirus.
Have a fried cut you a Live CD and give it a spin. Try before you buy.
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/#downloads
Now, are you ever going to tell me if you are a dude or a chick?
-T
Wrong newsgroup, Oren. Try posting in something related to computers or antivirus.
[...]
On Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:28:26 PM UTC-7, Guv Bob wrote:

I AM NOT OREN!!! IN FACT, YOU MIGHT CALL ME THE 'ANTI-OREN" !!!!!
And don't tell me where to post or not to post!
HB

[...]
Hi Higgs,
Don't let Mr. Cranky Pants under your skin. You posted where you did because that is where your friends are. And you clearly titled it "OT".
-T
Now I will go and plant my shrimp. If I fertilize right, maybe I can grow a tuna! :-)

computers or antivirus.

Sorry, HB. My mistake. I use AVG Free version and a router. Evidently the router masks the PC address (?) - not a computer type.
On Monday, August 18, 2014 4:39:58 PM UTC-7, Guv Bob wrote:

Ego te absolvo.
HB
On 08/18/2014 05:41 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

Hi Guv,
The router somewhat hides your internal address. It is called Network Address Translation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
Don't feel too secure though, the script kidding can get past it. Change your internal network from
192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx
to something like 192.168.77.xxx
It is the third number they won't go past O or 1
-T

computers or antivirus.

!!!!!

Evidently the router masks the PC address (?) - not a computer type.

Tibi gratias ago. Compescit in mail.
On 8/17/2014 11:30 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

What newsgroup would you recommend?
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 8/17/2014 11:23 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Sounds like you got hosed. My wife paid about that for a year of Best Buy service with Kaspersky which would cover up to 3 computers. You have to take the computer to Best Buy if it is really messed up, which she did when I could not clean up the mess on her laptop, but it is $50 for a geek to come to the house. She had one out the other day because she did not want to unplug her desktop.
We get free Norton from Comcast cable. Geek said Kaspersky is more complete service and does not bother you with nitshit like telling you what it is doing all the time.
On 8/17/2014 8:23 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

On the recommendation from the computer shop that custom assembled a prior PC of mine, I use AVG and Malwarebytes. Both are freeware.
I now have AVG 2014 Free 2014.0.4745 from <http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-free-all-product . This runs in the background, even updating its virus database. I insist on updating the software itself manually.
I now have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2.1012 from <http://www.malwarebytes.org/ . This has to be run manually, which I do on occasion.
When I download new software or an update to existing software, I always scan the file with both AVG and Malwarebytes (after making sure the latter's virus database is current) before installing it.
--
On Sunday, August 17, 2014 8:23:14 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

rily using over time?

UPDATE:
Appreciate the experienced suggestions for a better anti-virus! I used to have Norton when it was a big hog, but have read lately it's slimmed down? Yet one of you nice people still warned against it. ??
Now seeking suggestions for an "ombudsman" type to address my complaint aga inst company. No response to Cetified Mail or several emails. Blowing me off.
I've heard over time that such do exist in the computer world. Are they co mputer mags? Elsewhere? They might have more leverage over these crooks than just poor little sucker customer.
Any info welcome.
HB