Osmosis watering?

Can anyone advise me on a way to make an osmosis watering system for when I'm away from home please?

Look at this diagram of my setup.

position of the basin of water also the plantpot is fixed, so I can't drop the pot to ground level for instance.

Firstly, will this "wick" system work? If so, then how can I construct the wick etc.? First thought is hollow plastic tube stuffed with sponge rubber.... ....What do you think?

Thank you.

Reply to
sensible

I think cotton window sash cord, still available at most hardware stores.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Wick watering is a very common method among certain parts of the plant-worshiping world. Growers of African violets are especially attached to the method since sloppy watering is prone to damage their pets. Since it is so common the materials are likely to be found as close as your nearest well-stocked gardening supply store. Like everything else you can also shop for supplies online. An example (usual disclaimers apply)

John McGaw

How long do you plan on being away? A large planter with a proper soil mix can easily go two weeks between waterings. With a wicking system I'd be concerned with over watering, especially a fig tree... it's a good idea to let the spoil get pretty dry between waterings.

Why can't you place the pot at ground level... is their some prohibitive law where you live... I wouldn't want my plant up so high near the ceiling where the temperature is substantially warmer and the air drier... the soil will dry so much faster.... plus I imagine unless there's a skylight there isn't much light way up there

With a large pot you'd need two, preferably three wicks equally spaced. There are decorative glass watering bulbs on the market, I think those are better. If you're not so much into fancy schmancy there are watering spikes you can attach to most any plastic soda bottle. Most plant nurserys sell them.. probably at Walmart.

Sheldon