organic pest control

We've got a pear tree that was moved a few years ago and is setting fruit for the first time since. Fiance is somewhat enthusiastic about organic gardening, but my memories of fruit trees that are left to their own devises is that the crop is pretty near worthless.
What are some effective organic techniques to control pests in fruit trees? Are we screwed because we have not used anything up until this point? (Fruit are about 1.5 in. long right now.)

What are the pests? I know Gallo Winery is certified organic, as well as about 30 orchards in this area of Texas and they have lovely fruit. With organic fruit tending, it is more important to have extraordinary soil than it is being on a spray program, preventatively.
Do a search online for more info.