Organic Food Helps Revive Fortunes of Europes Farmers

Page 2 of 5
On Jun 19, 12:40 am, Charlie wrote:

Thanks for the votes of confidence! I do the best I can. That's all anyone can do really. It's kewl to me how y'all can have the "group" home thing going on. I know my pops loved having wyatt around. Kept Pops busy, and made him feel younger. Also loved the wheelchair rides out to the garden and "directing" me from there. Offered a lot of advice and instructions. Was quick to tell me when I did something wrong in his book. Some of the things he would sware by in the garden, doesn't always make sence or were proven facts, but alot of the things I did anyway, regardless of the end results. Had to let him think he was still in charge. And in many ways he was. I found myself doing a lot of things this spring the way that Pop's would've done it. Didn't get to plant on Good Friday though - it was still too cold around here for planting then. One of Pop's sayings, "Always plant your garden on Good Friday, it will grow better then than if you plant it any other day".
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:56:12 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
Rae, don't you pay any attention to Mister Billy regarding my condition, ya' hear?
He's mean, just plain mean, I tell ya'!
All the trouble I go to to help that poor old man grow some decent food on that shady hillside, and all I get is remarks about my new spandex exercise ensemble.
Charlie
On Jun 18, 2:36 am, Charlie wrote:

well.....................I got a good laugh from it! sorry it was at your expense though. After the last two days I've had - I need the laugh. Maybe that makes up for it being at your expense......................
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 04:41:34 -0700, raeannsimpson

Oh sure. Glad to be of service, my dear.
It's a sad day indeed, when Mister Billy parades me around the Usenet, dressed in my garden outfit.
Harrumphhhh.
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

Ok Charlie,
I'll quit laughing now. On a lighter note, got a bushel of fresh peaches today. Anybody up for peach cobbler for dessert tonight???
Rae
PS: I ditched the in-laws plans for me today. went out with my side of the family. Got my head back on straight now!

Long time neighbor dropped off 2 lb. of bing cherries this afternoon. In exchange for checking her mail for three day. Gave them to my kids that live about. The gift must pass on.
Enjoyed a bunch but these days it seems storage is becoming of more import. Back to Canning an Jamming??
Bill Who is thinking about fruit and sugar and brandy for about Dec 28 +- 4. Why ....Ice Cream.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:11:54 -0400, William Wagner

Your kids are fortunate.

Charlie, who is now thinking the same thoughts
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:58:45 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"

Yeah, right. Mister Billy has done me in. Everytime you see my name, you are going to have a mental picture that ain't pretty. Sittin' in the garden with the gnomes.

Sounds absolutely.....peachy!

Good for you!
Charlie

Not gonna disparage your bone cracker. If'n it is back pain, and it usually is, as we advance into full gezeerhood, I'd suggest that you lie flat on the floor, pull your knees up with feet flat on the floor, put your hands to the side of your head, and do a tiny little sit up, no more than to get your shoulder blades off the ground and point you left elbow at your right knee, lie back down and repeat with your right elbow pointed at your left knee. Don't do more than about twenty the first time. Do once a day for a week. Increase by 5 the second week. Increase by 5 more the third week. After that, your on your own. If it hurts at any time, STOP immediately.
Yeah, I know. It's not yoga. But learn some simple positions and practice them or at least do some stretches for your legs and back. Yoga, "the yoke between mind and body". The neat part is you don't have to believe in it. Either the mind drags the body along or the body drags the mind along. At some point you'll want to stop thinking during practice and just pay attention to the flow of air in and out of your lungs. You'll be amazed at the amount of muscle tension that you have, that you hadn't noticed before, and how it will eventually drop away. It is also known as "Reichian Armor" after the psychologist Wilhelm Reich.
Well the first crook neck I planted didn't survive the night even though I had fenced it to keep the cats and dogs away from it. Looked like the work of a snail or a slug, so I added more mulch and gave it a dose of Sluggo and it is still there this morning. I have one more for back up.
Found the information that I was looking for about 24/7 grow light exposure for my sweet peppers. It's supposed to be OK up to 7 weeks but after that you can do some real damage to the plant. I got 2 weeks left be for my sweet peppers have to come out of the incubator.
I got 2 moon flowers hung, 3 potted, and 3 more waiting for repotting. Being on a hill side, I'm going vertical but all the trellises are already bedecked, now I'm hanging them off trees.
Got one of my large germinator trays all cleared out. 72 cells just waiting to be filled in and slipped onto the pad under the grow light. I'm thinking lettuce and, sunflowers.
Always looking for food or herbs to grow in the shade though.
I let one of my failed attempts at Brussels sprouts go to seed. She sure is taking her sweet time about it. I keep hosing the aphids off of her and she shows no sign of the seed pods drying out. No chance that this mother will try and go another season is there?
Well, I'd better go do something.
See you at happy hour.
In article

Need some strange reading? Try Libby love letters. Laughter being the best medicine.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0605071libby1.html
Bill
PS make those stomach muscles stronger and your chance of back pain can be reduced. Now back to my Orgone box.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
In article < snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews .net>,

Yeah that's definitely part of it but you will also find that this exercise torques the back by twisting and, simultaneously puts traction on it allowing the vertebrae a chance to re-aligne. As you do the exercise, you find you are walking across the floor on your shoulder blades, dragging your body along with you (traction).
Thanks for the book suggestion but I'm already over my eye-balls in reading material.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
In article

Actually I was kidding about the Orgone Box. Still a google search is worthwhile. I went with cultivating life energy which I think of as Chi now with physical movement. Tai Chi which suggests I stand still for awhile. What can I say ;))
Bill Yang Form ~20 years and still had a heart attack.
Garden needs some attention again. Speak of eternal return!!
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
In article < snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews .net>,

This is the beauty of being a dilettante. I cherry pick the information. I had no idea about Reich's wacko idea of orgone energy. On the other hand unresolved emotional problems being stored as clenched muscles is pretty much universally accepted these days. Not that all clenched muscles are unresolved emotional problems.
I'm a big fan of Tai Chi but I haven't found a teacher that is good for me yet. I studied Tae Kwan Do and came away with certain ideas that a Tai Chi instructor would need to accommodate or teach me out of. A punch should look like a real punch. A kick should look like a real kick.
Sometimes Tai Chi is taught to geezers as a type of exercise, with little emphasis on its' martial arts application.
Unfortunately, both Tai Chi and Tae Kwon Do are now anachronisms having been replaced by kick boxing. It's a good sweat though.
Didn't have my cardiac event until eight years after I stopped running. Turns out the arthritis in my foot was much more minor than I had been lead to believe. My doctor told me I should do something about my cholesterol. I thought I was by seeing him. He apparently meant that I should see a real doctor.
Welcome to the club. As they say, "Your not a real man 'till you have your first heart attack;-)"
Kyungye,
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
--
Billy

Ok, now you're stepping on my territory <G>.
Many people with sore backs have weak abs. It's true! We lose our core muscles from all the sitting around, driving, computing (who, us??!?) and poor posture we've developed over the years. If you really and truly want to fix your sore back, find a good Pilates instructor. Rebuild those core muscles.
The exercise you described above is almost Criss-Cross, the fifth in the Ab Series of Five, in the Pilates repertoire. The correct way to do it is to lie on your back, bring your knees into chair position (hip and knee at 90). Cradle the base of your neck in your hands (don't hold your head). Bring your chin to your chest, raising your head, cradling your neck. Now, bring your right armpit to your left knee. Not your elbow, in order to do this correctly, you need to rotate your upper body so your knee is going towards your armpit. Stay high in the middle as you return to center, then bring your left armpit to your right knee. Stay high and do it again. Only do as many as you can do in good form. If your back hurts, stop.
Pilates is never done to pain or failure. If it hurts, you're either doing it wrong or you're too weak to maintain control.
Now I'm not suggesting you try to do Pilates from a newsgroup posting. Find a good teacher in your area http://www.pmapilatescertified.com/certsearch.html and see if Pilates doesn't help your back - and the rest of you, too!
I know I sound like an infomercial, but finding Pilates in 1999 has totally changed my life. I lived in severe pain, my lower lumbar region literally ached for 16 years until my (wonderful) chiropractor (I went through five before I found him) studied me for a couple of visits and told me to go find a Pilates mat class. He was right! And he's very supportive of me not seeing him much anymore <G>
If it weren't for him sending me to that class I think I would have had to give up gardening - for me that would be giving up living, almost!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

My god Ann, your a zealot;-) Yeah, we can fix Charlie up with mats and beach-balls, a spandex workout costume, a schedule, and a membership card. I kinda think Charlie would look nice in a tutu. But not all guys are built like that and if'n Charlie had the time and the money, I'd recommend a gym, preferably on the Mediterranean, where a trainer could tailor a workout to Charlies needs and desires. That said, whenever I get lazy, and hurt my back, I do the above and it pops whatever was out, back in. Throw in some stretchies and a few push ups and you have a program. And I said put your hands to the side of your head because pulling on your neck or head is not a great idea. Now if we can only get Charlie to cooperate and have a bad back, maybe we can have some kind of kinesiology competition.
Oh Charlie. Where are you, boy? Charlie.
This may take awhile, if he's taken to hiding.
--
Billy

I'm glad ya'll be havin' such a good time at pore ole Charlie's expense. Charlie gets harnessed and forced to walk the long rows today, and you just poke at him.
De Bone Man recommended this very thing to me. He sez, "Charlie, you got to strengthen your center, boy. You got to do these little scrunchy things everday, fore you even get out of de bed. You don't do these things, Charlie, I'm a gonna keep on hurtin' ya!"
He recommended, and is now adding to his staff, one of those muscle kneader people too.
He is on track and I trust him....'cept them damn bones and chickens kinda spook me.
This is takin' awhile to get online tonite cuz my Lovely decided to slap the harness on me first thing today. She can be cruel, she can, so very cruel!
Someone did send me one of me favorite brews, and the boys stopped by and left me some more. They are good lads, they drop off some libation and then leave me alone. It's not like they aren't in and out of here, oh, several thousand times a week anyway!
Anyways, I been sneakin' off and keepin' up today, just no time to post. I still have a room to paint tonite, but that should only take a an hour or so.
Later, you can go back to your pokin' fun at an old man with a weak center
Charlie

Weak center Charlie? Oh my god, the pods have gotten him. What color spandex you gonna get Charlie?
Oh the shame of it all. And the cost.
Another man's gone down. Another man's gone down.
--
Billy

Check out seedsofchange.com....better yet, get your hands on the paper catalog. They are listing sunlight requirements for veggies. I found some surprises. There are quite a few that will tolerate a fair amount of shade. shade is a problem for me, in thelimited space we have.
Charlie, who most certainly has noticed your disparaging comments about my delicate condition

Well, Mr. Tutu, aren't we grumpy this morning? I think in your new get up, a flower behind your ear, a green or pink bow in your hair, and some pan pipes you'd look perfect in a garden setting.
Thanks for the advice on the catalogue. How's the Opa watch goin'? That girl must be gettin' tired by now.
Keep us informed.
Uh, and my apologies to the good bishop.
--
Billy

Yeah, well, top o' the mornin' to you too, Mr. Meanie.

She certainly is tired of being with child. The contractions have slowed.

WIll do

Heh heh.
Charlie