orchid pix

i put my decidedly unphotogenic little orchid's photos up on my flickr page:

or try this:
in advance for any ID help lee

Reply to
enigma

Looks a lot like most of ours. I¹m not into naming but I¹d guess it is easily named soon. Remember soak once a week etc. Slugs like em.

Bill

Name starts with D....:))

Reply to
Bill

I vote phalenopsis. Find some photos online and see what you think.

That would mean bright indirect light with a smattering of early am/late evening sun ok, and coolish nights are fine. When I lived in Florida I never brought my phals in unless a freeze was expected, which was once every 10 years. I brought some with me when I moved here and they are doing very well overwintered under compact flourescents.

Reply to
Buderschnookie

"Buderschnookie" wrote in news:1d412$487138e6$471ed0d9$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

i found (very few) photos with some leaves on bigorchid.com, & yes, it does look a lot like those. it's currently in a northeast facing window, but i can move it to a southeast window or under the lights in the fall. i think i will repot it just because i don't know what exactly it's potted in. it looks like regular potting soil under a layer of the moss & the pot doesn't have much drainage. i see that clear pots are recommended. the orchids i had many years ago were in clay pots. is being able to see the roots an advantage over clay's drainage ability & breathability?

lee

Reply to
enigma

I don't use clear pots- all my phals are in clay. YMMV. Just be sure and use an orchid mix- that potting soil is way too dense. Use clean pruners and cut off any roots that look rotten or mushy. They're tough plants and can handle the abuse. If you don't have pot clips to hold it steady in the pot until the roots take hold you can just lay a big rock on top to keep it from toppling over. Mist it daily and you should be fine.

Reply to
Buderschnookie

Hi - why not put them on rixa.com in addition to flickr? Would like to see the gardening community's reactions... ;-)

Looking forward, Alex.

Reply to
Alex