orchid and other flower photos from Puerto Rico

Some photos I have taken of some orchids and other tropical plants.
http://dirtythoughts.ninaloca.net/porchids.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
Very nice,
I think I'll go out and rent "Green Mansions" (Anthony Perkins/Audrey Hepburn).
Liked the "Kitty Flower" a lot.
Cιsar.

Add pictures here
βœ–
This is a MUSIC forum! You're supposed to talk about Fidel Castro and Zionism here, not flowers.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@go.com wrote:

dontcha just love random crossposts LOL
Add pictures here
βœ–
Beeblebrox wrote:

She has friends in all three groups. What so "random" about wanting to share with them?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Your friend is some kind of scatter brained freak indiscriminately hopping from group to group. Nothing frugal about that at all. Next time you meet her, be sure to wear protection. You don't know where she was hanging out last.

βœ–
Beeblebrox wrote:

I didn't expect replies so I didn't think cross posting would be an issue. Ooops!
Add pictures here
βœ–
nina wrote:

I thought the pix were nice, especially those weird skinny 5-petaled orchids. Ignore the whiners.
--
Cheers, Bev
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@go.com wrote:

that we do NOT want to read. For instance, I want thing appropriate for r.gardens but do not care about rec.music.afro-latin or misc.* .
If this is not a useful feature of news groups, we could go back to one large group where everybody reads everything. Not good!
Add pictures here
βœ–
William W. Plummer wrote:

So it's only logical that you reply to all the same cross-posted groups.
Add pictures here
βœ–
nina wrote:

Kewl Stuff :-)
I wouldn't know an orchid from a petunia.
If all those pictured are orchids, why does the purple one look different from the one tied to a tree....??
Just bein' nosy.... Any neighbors/friends have any success growing fruit trees of any kind...??
Add pictures here
βœ–

Cause it hasn't been struggling to get away for a week?
Free the Orchids!
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

checking phone book....for SPCO: Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Orchids
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jon von Leipzig wrote:

Because there are lots and lots of different orchids. Many are clearly alien life forms pretending to be pretty or interesting flowers until their numbers are sufficient to allow them to take over the earth and eat whatever humans manage to survive the final battle.

Some people in SoCal (yard sale giver's neighbors, unfortunately not horticulturally sophisticated) have fruiting papaya trees and some tropical fruit tree that I don't recognize. The fruit was green, about the size of a mango but with pointed ends, and clustered around the central stem. Leaves were kind of palm-frondy, sprouting from the top of the tree, but otherwise not at all like palm fronds. Definitely not mangos -- I've seen mango trees in Mexico.
--
Cheers,
Bev
The Real Bev wrote:

Pana? (Breadfruit?)
http://www.islandmon.com/RinCam/panatree.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–
nina wrote:

Could be, if there was a cluster of the fruits circling the trunk. Somehow I remember the leaves as pointier, with the leaflets much less spread out.
I looked all through here: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/ but couldn't find it. Not a wasted trip, though -- what a LOT of wonderful fruit the world produces! I've got a loquat tree growing from seed, but the damn thing is perhaps 5 years old and shows no sign of producing flowers, much less fruit. Still, it's an OK looking tree.
--
Cheers,
Bev
Jon von Leipzig wrote:

Same reason there are minroses, hybrid teas, climbers, etc. I believe all the ones I took pics of are vandas. Took me a while to figure it out since I know nada de orchids. But they grow outdoors here in full sun, so I deduced that they are all vandas. (vandaceous orchids) The ones that have full leaves are "strap leaved" the ones with fat tubular leaves are "terete leaved". The terete leaved ones take more sun than the others which appreciate a bit of shade. Im sure I got some stuff wrong and left out some stuff, but thats basically all I know. I have a dendrobium on my desk, it likes shade and I had a phalenopsis, but I rotted its roots. So damned humid here that my books and potpourri and stuff are MOLDING!!!!!!!

Fruit trees all over. I have a chironja- a hybrid of china (orange) and toronha (grapefruit). [Why china? China-orange mandarina-tangerine Makes some kinda sense] I also have a guanabana tree. Both are about 3 feet tall, buthe chironja has teeny lil fruits.
My SIL has chironja, jobos,guayaba (guava) and limes in her backyard. My MIL has chironja and avocado. Big fat giant creamy ones. I dont eat them, but I wish I did. Thats how good they are.
Mango trees all over there is one at an empty house down the street.I intend to snatch up a bunch when the get ripe.
Add pictures here
βœ–
nina wrote:

Oh..ok...makes sense...I think...

oh my....sounds like a tropical paradise...except for the humidery...
guanabana tree,,,,,,mini-bananas..??
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hi Nina, I really enjoyed your site! I also took with me some tips for the roses. My daughter sent me 3 minature roses for Mother's Day this year, and one is doing wonderful, while the other two are not. I did notice that spider webs were forming on the two plants that aren't doing well so I sprayed them in the sink. Hopefully that will do the trick... Good luck with your patio too! Kathy
Add pictures here
βœ–
pmo3ws wrote:

Thanks, I am glad you like it!