Opuntia, prickley pear fruit?

So I was walking the dog the other day, and saw a prickley pear growing at the corner of someone's lawn. It had borne fruit.
So here's my question: Can I grow prickley pear from seed?
And if its not convenient, is it too late in the season to start a pad? I'm in Western Virginia, so our nighttime temps have been in the 30's, and don't appear to be increasing.
I will of course ask permission of the owner if I can take a fruit or pad.
Thanks for your advice.
Of course, you can grow Opuntia from seed.
Its obviously too cold now in West Virginia to do anything pertaining to plants outdoors.
Do it next spring after all the snow has melted and the ground has thawed out.

Until next year then.
and did you know that you can make a quite tasty jam from that fruit? My grandmammy did quite frequently. madgardener

and did you know that the pads can be pealed and fried like potatoes, among other culnary delights?? lee/leo
P.s. they are called Napolitos (spell??) lee/leo
That's Nopales
Thay have nothing to do with Naples, Italy.

Lets just say they can be deep fried, pan fried or even baked.
They taste nothing like potatoes no matter how you cook them.

thanks.. I really get my a's and o's mixd up as have never been able to learn Spanish. My Mexican friends are a lot smarter than I as they can speak both Spanish/Mexican *and* English and even my English is not near perfect 8?)
I used to cube a few pads and fry them, but could not seem to acquire a taste for them as, like okra, they have a lot of slick juice. I never knew how to prepare them properly. I tried washing away the slick juice, but didn't like the outcome. I can't even eat okra unless it's dipped in cornmeal and fried and can no longer eat fried foods. --lee