Oo! Pritty! What is it?

A volunteer just appeared in the garden, so it must be something winter hardy, or it would've appeared earlier than September. Though very, very tiny so far (one-inch leaves & smaller), they should be easy to recognize even just by the young leaves, which are quite unique double-lobed things. Nothing like them has ever popped up in the garden before that I can recall.

An inch tall at this point, they are golden yellow leaves on short stems poking staight up from the ground. They're growing in an area that was not watered during summer but is damp now with rain season started. I'm MOSTLY certain I never planted anything there, as it is a spot that was built up with quite a big percentage of unfinished compost & not ready for plants until next spring.

the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I've seen those before but an having trouble remembering just what they are. Those are the cotyledons, and the real leaves won't look anything like that from what I remember.

It might be morning glories, or some kind of weedy tree seedling -- I wanna say catalpa, but I think morning glory or bindweed is more likely.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Those look like some kind of Ipomoea seedlings to me. My cardinal climber (Ipomoea x multifida) seedlings look very similar to them. The cotyledons are only about 3/4" long when they are just sprouted. They also look like moonflower (Ipomoea alba) seedlings, but their cotyledons are much, much larger and meaty. Some morning glory seedlings look like that, too.

Reply to
Mark Herbert

Ah! You are likely right. Now that you mention it, I did put some ipomoea seeds in that area earlier in the year thinking some fast-growing vines might fill in temporarily until the area was ready to plant for real. Since they never sprouted I assumed they were bad seed or died or were eaten, but maybe it was simply too dry they were waiting for some rain. Thanks for the help!

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

I agree. They look exactly like the moonflower seedlings I started this year.

Reply to
Jacqueline

They look like the Ipomoea batatas 'Marguerite' that I grew from seed a couple of years back. sed5555

Reply to
Sed5555