Onions, harvesting, curing and storing

Although I've grown onions for many years, my husband decided he wanted to grow some. The way I harvest them is waiting until the tops bend over, then breaking them off, leaving the onion in the ground for several days. Then I pull the onions out, braid the tops and hang them just like they grew, bulb side down, in a cool place to finish curing and to store.

I looked on the internet and one site said to pull them out when the tops fall over, and let them cure above the ground. I can understand that. A friend of my husband's told him to hang them with the bulbs up, before they are allowed to cure. My concern is that the bulb will "grow" back into the stalk. Is my concern a valid one? Can anyone give me an idea of the proper way to hang them, bulb up or down, and if you can cure them while hanging. Thank you.

Reply to
Beth Pierce

My experience is that you can dry them (is that curing?) any old way you want, just make sure that they are out of the sun. Up, down or sideways does not seem to make any difference.

Never had one "grow back into the stalk."

John

Reply to
John Bachman

How do you braid the tops if you have already broken them off?

Do what has worked for you in the past. Let your husband do it his (the correct) way.

;-)

Reply to
Travis