Onions blooming, what to do?

I have a couple hundred onions in the ground, and today I noticed some of them are putting up flower stalks. Why? The weather has not been abnormally wet or dry, no hot spells, no dry spells. Could it be that the type of onion I planted are just not well suited to this area? Or did I plant them too early? I'm also guessing that the onions putting up a flower stalk will not form a bulb?
On Sun, 6 May 2007 13:32:39 -0700, "Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote:>I have a couple hundred onions in the ground, and today I noticed some of

Onions must be matched to your latitude. Long days = long day onion, short days = short day onion. What did you plant, variety and method, sets or plants?
Yes, snap off the flower stalk.
John

I bought them as a bag of generic white onion sets from Wal-Mart. I assumed they were correct for this area, but in retrospect that may not be so. Wal-Mart had seed potatoes in early March, but that is too early to plant around here. I tried, and a late frost killed them all. They did grow back, but in retrospect planting a month earlier accomplished nothing. I have 4 different types of onions, I'm going to watch to see if all are blooming, or if it's just this one type.
On Mon, 7 May 2007 10:18:06 -0700, "Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote:>

Buy from Wal Mart and you take your chances. Maybe they are right for your area and maybe not. Maybe they have been handled properly and maybe not.
I buy plants from Dixondale Farms and always have a great onion crop.
John