onions and leeks question

Page 2 of 2

A quick gurgle shows:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-133.html
They aren't the same species as cultivated leeks, which are Allium porrum, and which is not known to occur (as such) in the wild. However, there is a wild allium with which they are interfertile; I have no idea why they aren't described as a mere cultivated form of that. It's native to the Near East.
Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Yes they are quite edible. They grow wild in the southern Appalachians, many festivals dedicated to them this time of year. Steve

Thanks Looking about found this.
<http://theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/aprilfd.htm
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

I thought about the ramp images for a few days that are posted here. They look almost like small or immature daffodils which are toxic.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
On 14/05/09 00:07, Billy wrote:

<snip>
<snip>
Why is that? What would be the problem if they were planted when they had a much smaller diameter, say, like a cocktail stick?
Ed

Don't think it's a diameter problem really, except diameter has a relationship with length. (Usually the greater the diameter of the leek, the greater it's length. This is the way I've seen it presented in books. Basing it on length would avoid the confusion that we are discussing now.) You want 5 - 6 inches of the plant in the ground to produce the blanched (white) base of the leek.
--

- Billy
On 14/05/09 17:34, Billy wrote:

Thank you for a very clear answer. I will in future base my decisions on the leeks having about 6 inches of growth before transplanting out.
Ed