onions and leeks question

Never heard of ramps are they edible?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

A quick gurgle shows:

aren't the same species as cultivated leeks, which are Allium porrum, and which is not known to occur (as such) in the wild. However, there is a wild allium with which they are interfertile; I have no idea why they aren't described as a mere cultivated form of that. It's native to the Near East.

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
nmm1

If it's not too personal, how long is your dibble, Charlie? Ones I saw at the nursery were only about 5 inches long, top to bottom. The business end was only about 3 inches (Is it getting warm in here?). Somehow, it just didn't seem manly enough.

Reply to
Billy

Hmmmm......should I be blushing, going worldwide with this, uh, well.... information? OK, (get a grip now, Billy) just to satisfy your curiosity about the size of me dibble.....

As you may know, it is a bit of a challenge to get to close to the ground, given bad knees and an often sore back and, uh, other things that interfere with getting comfortably close to the ground, so I made my own dibble out of a broken shovel handle that is about twenty inches long, tapered on the business end and nicely rounded on the gripping end.

It's quite the manly dibble, if I do say so myself.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Yes they are quite edible. They grow wild in the southern Appalachians, many festivals dedicated to them this time of year. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

Thanks Looking about found this.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I thought about the ramp images for a few days that are posted here. They look almost like small or immature daffodils which are toxic.

Bill

Reply to
Bill