onions and leeks question

Page 1 of 2
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings

On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:

Why do you need to differentiate them?
Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.
As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the leeks will develop flat leaves.
Ed
Ed wrote:

Except that they are planted differently. Leeks should ideally be dropped into a hole so the base is a few inches below the soil level to give a good white stem. Onions are planted level with the soil.
--
David in Normandy.

How about just planting them as onion. Then hill the leeks similar to white asparagus. Sounds like extra work though why not reseed the leeks ? How many plants are we talking about 50 or 50000.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a No.2 school pencil, and then they are placed in a trench which is slowly filled in to give the blanched portion of the leek.
--

- Billy

They can also be planted deep using a dibble and then compost, mulch, etc (you know the routine) added....to accomplish the same end.
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

That is how I do it, seems a lot less bother than a trench. I dib a deep hole and drop the leek into it, sometimes only the tip of the leek is still above ground level. I do not back fill the hole though and just leave it. It has always worked well for me. Some earth usually tumbles back in the hole over the coming weeks anyway or the leek grows to fill out the hole. I grow a couple of hundred leeks this way every year - we like leek soup :-)
--
David in Normandy.

David in Normandy said:

That's essentially how I plant leeks. I prepare the soil with compost alfalfa and then mulch with a few layers of newsprint and a thick layer of straw. I then dibble a hole and drop my transplant into it. The tip of the transplant will usually be below the top of the straw. No backfilling, just pour a bit of water (mixed with kelp) into the hole.
Other than pulling the occasional wheat or elm seedling (I wish that tree would just DIE!) there is not much more to do than wait until fall.
I love leeks baked with a little butter...nicely carmelized...yummmm
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:03:27 +0200, David in Normandy

Leeks are marvelous. We like potato/leek soup. I also read about steaming the tops last year and they are also good. One account said they tasted like asparagus, but I don't think they do.
http://www.ajc.com/eveningedge/content/living/food/stories/02223leekleaves.html
googling leek+leaves shows several uses for, including a stuffed leak leaf recipe that sounds good.
Charlie

Yousek Roadsinger AKA Cat Stevens has some new music about
Oh leek stuff below.
Bill
Xref: sn-us rec.food.recipes:87667 Path: sn-us!sn-feed-sjc-02!sn-us!sn-feed-sjc-03!sn-xt-sjc-11!sn-xt-sjc-09!sn-xt -sjc-13!supernews.com!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!news.alt .net!feeder.nmix.net!216.184.2.11.MISMATCH!iruka!not-for-mail From: snipped-for-privacy@simpleinternet.com (International Recipes OnLine) Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes Subject: Fire Roasted Corn Chowder with Chipotle Followup-To: rec.food.cooking, rec.food.recipes Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 00:58:48 +0000 (UTC) Organization: International Recipes OnLine Lines: 48 Approved: snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com
Fire Roasted Corn Chowder with Chipotle
submitted by butterflydog
8 fresh ears of corn in their husks 1 red bell pepper 1 Tbsp olive oil 4 oz pork or bacon diced 2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, finely diced 1 sweet onion finely diced 6 cloves of garlic finely diced 5 cups chicken stock 1 cup of half and half cream 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves fine chopped 1 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp black pepper 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground chipolte pepper OR smoked paprika OR cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
I made this soup without pork or bacon just using more olive oil and it came out great. I also used smoked paprika since I try to find recipes that use it ! Remove most of corn husks from corn except for a layer or two, Roast corn on a hot grill turning 1/4 turn every 3 minutes or so till kernels are caramelized ( browned ). Do the same with the bell pepper. Remove corn from grill and let cool. Then with sharp knife scrape kernels into a bowl. In a stockpot over medium heat, add oil and saute pork or bacon, garlic, onion and leek until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Skin bell pepper and dice. In a blender or food processor, puree half the corn with half the stock. To the stockpot add the pureed mixture, remaining stock, cream, remaining corn, cilantro, diced bell pepper, salt, black pepper and chipole pepper. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add lime juice to finish soup and serve.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings. Source: Bob Blumer, The Surreal Gourmet
http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes / International Recipes OnLine On-Line Culinary Discussion at Food.Chat: http://www.simpleinternet.com/foodchat /
-- Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at snipped-for-privacy@swcp.com. Only recipes and recipe requests are accepted for posting. Please allow several days for your submission to appear. http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com /
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

Oh so nice, and thanks for the tip!!! I didn't know this one. Found one of those Youtube things for those interested, as I am. Sigh...another on the list......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfgdqk0QXm0

I've been in love with his music since Tea for the Tillerman and have much of it. What a gentle soul. A friend of mine who went to U back east saw him in a coffeehouse setting in Boston those many years ago and related it was the most intimate and beautiful performace he had ever been a part of.
It saddens me that he was denied entrance to the U$ on account of his name and faith.
Several of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4cnbCb-kL8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiiZrZTrOFY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJNH6l9APJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXxcMw5PTDg&feature=related

Thank you for the reminder....the evening is going to be mellower and more spiritual than the day started. It's been a struggle this day up to this point, but that is melting away now. Heh heh, you just never know what your words will produce, do you? :-)
Cat --> mp3 player --> ears --> garden after dark

Oh lordie, all things chipotle are wunnerful. Leeks *and* chipotle. And bacon! THis looks GOOD.

Charlie wrote:

Yusuf was on the Tonight Show the other night. Very nice performance. I found this:
http://theaudioperv.com/2009/05/14/yusuf-roadsinger-on-leno-513-video /
enjoy
On Sat, 16 May 2009 10:51:44 -0500, Spcovelady

Thank you for this. I think I'll see if I can find the interview somewhere, as Jay mentions his children at the end....
Nice way to start the day. The sun is shining, though very cool for this time of year in these here parts and outdoor projects beckon. We had three inches of rain yesterday, so playing in the dirt is out for a bit.
Care Charlie
"Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven Like the first dewfall, on the first grass Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden Sprung in completeness where his feet pass"
Eleanor Farjeon, As Sung by Cat Stevens
On May 14, 4:59am, Charlie wrote:

We just use a dibble and drop in the leek, we don't fill it in; watering always releases a little soil.
Judith
On Sat, 16 May 2009 10:44:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

Thanks for your method, which is the same as Pat's. Simple is best.
I *used* to back fill the hole...no longer will take the time for that! :-) I'm also thinking the same method will work for onion seedlings. Green onions/scallions should develop a nice long white shank this way.
Charlie

If it's not too personal, how long is your dibble, Charlie? Ones I saw at the nursery were only about 5 inches long, top to bottom. The business end was only about 3 inches (Is it getting warm in here?). Somehow, it just didn't seem manly enough.
--

- Billy

Hmmmm......should I be blushing, going worldwide with this, uh, well.... information? OK, (get a grip now, Billy) just to satisfy your curiosity about the size of me dibble.....
As you may know, it is a bit of a challenge to get to close to the ground, given bad knees and an often sore back and, uh, other things that interfere with getting comfortably close to the ground, so I made my own dibble out of a broken shovel handle that is about twenty inches long, tapered on the business end and nicely rounded on the gripping end.
It's quite the manly dibble, if I do say so myself.
Charlie
In article

Interesting as leek culture got me thinking they do not exist in the wild. Stuff casting out seeds and a few manage to produce replicates. So a pointed hole and a young plant and the chances increase. Thank you Judith
Bill below permanent leek beds New to me!!
<http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/allium/msg0112100512397.html
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

I'm afraid you're mistaken, Bill. Ramps are wild leaks. They are strongly flavored, but leaks nonetheless. Steve

Never heard of ramps are they edible?
Bill