On Weeding

Why are some plants labeled evil and other a gift from heaven? I have found that if poison ivy is about so is jewel weed. Seems the cure is readily available in the environment but we must have knowledge of it. Our knowledge of nature seems to have been diminished a lot in the last

50 years. My grand mom took care of us with herbs until just about when I was born 1948. I sort of believe the fractured nature of our system to educate is responsible as small divisions are encouraged and wholeness is not mentioned . I think of a Goethe.

the rant also has a bright spot look at my signature url.

Bill who just got his heater working after screwing it up ( Hurt Switch) when cleaning filter. Dumb....

Reply to
Bill

Can one good apple unspoil the whole barrel?

Astute observation about the cure being in proximity with the "curse".....good food for thought and study. I don't care for the term weed adn it connotations. Is dandelion a weed? Many think so.

Charlie, under the log again, seeking wholeness, grappling with internal divisions......

Reply to
Charlie

Make that two good apples related to the same subject.

Charlie

I live 8 miles from the "Dandelion capitol of the world". Vineland, New Jersey we eat them with gusto. Italian immigrates turned us on to dandelion. Eat before flower or real bitter. Just like broccoli or broccoli rabe .

Seems others do too.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Feingold in his filibuster. It only takes a few minutes. You can cut and paste the message to the first Senator into the message box of the second. Let your representatives know what you think. It's the American way.

Then you can get back to gardening . . . unless you are distracted by the refusal of our government to label GMOs in our markets, or label hormones in our food, or their refusal to allow farmers to do a more thorough testing of their meat than is required, or to stop feeding the residue of potentially sick animals to healthy herbivores. Maybe the governments subsidizing of an unhealthy diet, or it's promotion of unsustainable petrochemical fertilizers and pesticides that create a paucity of nutrients in produce from our factory farms, and also kill the soil, water ways, and large parts of the oceans, while adding to erosion, lack of clean water, and dwindling bio-diversity of nature. These same agro-petrochemical cast-offs from our war machine accumulate in our bodies and roughly coincides with increased incidents of coronary-vascular disease, diabetes, obesity and a weakened immune system. What the mad scientists call the "green revolution" is really creating GMOs (that don't produce more food and must be purchased at great price) that allow the even greater usage of biocides in the food chain.

So give a shout out to your Congresspeople, and let them know what you think.

Dang, I forgot to write about defunding the WTO, IMF, and the World Bank, nuts. I guess I have another letter in me;O)

Reply to
Billy

Hell, as long as we, meaning all of us with any more sense than god gave the goose, are all pissed off, or should be, here is another letterwriting campaign in which to join.

that long article:

"Ironically, it's that great troublemaker Voltaire who has too often been trotted out (and too often misquoted) as an advocate of withdrawing from the tumult of society, into tending one's own property. Voltaire was indeed a gardener, and he did end his most famous novel by having Candide, after surviving so many far-flung hazards, utter those famous words to his fellow wanderer Dr. Pangloss: "We must cultivate our garden."

However, with the publication of Candide in 1759, Voltaire entered the most politically active part of his life, as he "went on to a series of confrontations with the consequences of human cruelty that, two hundred-odd years later, remain stirring in their courage and perseverance," in the words of Adam Gopnik.

If Voltaire could find the time for both gardening and radical political action, then all of us can do it."

I've been reading too much Kunstler and Bageant and others, dead and alive, as of late. Feh....what an effing mess. TIme to spit, hoist the black flag and go to work.

On a positive note, the first 'mater is ready for harvest. Does it count that is the size of a dime? :-)

Charlie, distracted and spread really thin....too many projects wanting starts, too many more wanting finishes....

"The human brain is a complex organ with the wonderful power of enabling man to find reasons for continuing to believe whatever it is that he wants to believe." --Voltaire

Reply to
Charlie

Unfortunately, golbalization was reeling after the Seattle and Washington D. C. demonstrations, then came 9/11, like manna from the skies, with laws curbing civil liberties (the right to protest where you can be seen and heard) and the privacy (wire tapping) to orchestrate a raising of public consciousness to the social costs of corporate fascism. Terrorism is being increasingly used as a label and a charge against militant resisters of capitalist hegemony, who destroy property. There are already laws against property destruction but terrorisms laws are more draconian.

This isn't just our problem. People in the global south (70% subsistence farmers) have been exploited unmercifully for decades.

----------

We wish to control big business so as to secure among other things good wages for the wage-workers and reasonable prices for the consumers. Wherever in any business the prosperity of the businessman is obtained by lowering the wages of his workmen and charging an excessive price to the consumers we wish to interfere and stop such practices. We will not submit to that kind of prosperity any more than we will submit to prosperity obtained by swindling investors or getting unfair advantages over business rivals.

  • Speech at Progressive Party Convention, Chicago (1912-06-17)

------

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capitol. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never had existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deseves the higher consideration.

Abraham Lincoln Dec. 1861

Keep gardening and grousing and bitching.

Reply to
Billy

David Suzuki's 12 yr old daughter.....16 years ago and the bastards

*still* aren't listening today.....

Charlie

Flowers are good also. Dip in tempura batter and fry, reminiscent of mushrooms. Good in salads also.

We eat lots of dandylions.....makes us pee, eh?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Wee wee as the French say;o)

Reply to
Billy

Humbling stuff.

Reply to
Billy

I am such a simple fool. The charge of terrorism is being applied to two ladies who destroyed nothing but who protested the destruction of four apartment complexes of low-income housing units. Residents say the brick buildings are perfectly habitable, and accuse the city, the Housing Authority of New Orleans (HANO), and Housing and Urban Development (HUD) of a program of class warfare and racially motivated gentrification.

The four complexes, if demolished, would eliminate more than 4,500 apartment units in the hurricane-ravaged city so desperately in need of affordable low-income housing.

Welcome to the new and improved America :-(

Unnecessary wars, domestic spying, the poor thrown into the streets, price gouging on fuel and food. Good night America.

Billy

I am such a simple fool. The charge of terrorism is being applied to two ladies who destroyed nothing but who protested the destruction of four apartment complexes of low-income housing units. Residents say the brick buildings are perfectly habitable, and accuse the city, the Housing Authority of New Orleans (HANO), and Housing and Urban Development (HUD) of a program of class warfare and racially motivated gentrification.

The four complexes, if demolished, would eliminate more than 4,500 apartment units in the hurricane-ravaged city so desperately in need of affordable low-income housing.

Welcome to the new and improved America :-(

Unnecessary wars, domestic spying, the poor thrown into the streets, price gouging on fuel and food. Good night America.

Sorry, this is the background of the charge.

is the charge.
I seem to have run off, at least temporarily, the raccoon that was ravaging my cabbage and lettuce patches. I think I grossed him out by relieving my self where he was trying to eat. Then I think one of my dogs damaged some of the potato plants when he relieved himself. He likes to kick-up a little dust afterwards. The peas have gone toes up but the green beans seem to have stabilized after the spat of hot weather played havoc with their plastic mulch.

Reply to
Billy

What I find is that folks I come in contact with every day family included know not much about the issues real issues you mention. How to get info out in a world of Murdoch ? I fall back to living by example small images but some times a glimmer of change.

No one in my extended family has a compost pile. I'd guess heirloom concept or open pollinated is not known either. Got to carry on anyway ! Perhaps a family gathering where dinner is done but some items are missing that can be culled in our back yard.

Bill scheming.

Reply to
Bill

To be more up-beat, I should have said that all of the curcubitaceaes seem to to be doing very well.

People are tired, physically and mentally and the media is controlled by what, seven corporations now, whose diverse stockholders have an interest in commodification of every aspect of our lives.

Their goal is to rent us our clothes and furniture.

The war on terror is bogus. Terrorists are people who resist the American government, plain and simple. As a result, there are more terrorists every day. If you read about globalization and the WTO, you'll now why it was targeted. European countries, including the United States, have been sending gun boats or paying off dictators and politicians of small countries to extract the wealth of people of color for centuries. Now it is our turn to face reduced social spending and to be pitted against the worlds poorest workers in a race to the bottom of the barrel.

Anybody who read Pollan knows that processed foods are imitation foods, which, due to contamination and lack of nutrition, are poison. The only safe course is to steep ourselves in real food.

While scheming, let your light shine and bang that damn pot.

Reply to
Billy

Just some damn good commentary on the "situation"........long.

Good idea!

Keep on scheming and exampling, Bill. It seems to be working in our family, but it has been a long row to hoe, with much more weeding to be done.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie