Oleander

Can you grow Oleander bushes from their clipping stems, putting them in water? Will they root, and be able to be transplanted? I'm looking for a cheap way to add shrubbery.

TIA

Reply to
Simpledog

The answer is *yes* - some 30 years ago my father persuaded me to illegally import cuttings of oleander from Germany to the UK because he couldn't get them here (still haven't seen any oleander in the UK!) - they grew fantastically once rooted - just needed bringing in during the winter.

Reply to
datsy

I'm no gardner, so, just clip some stalks and put them in water for a bit?

Reply to
Simpledog

yes you can! I've done it many times. You take a slip and put it in water, and from the nodes the roots will come; make sure you have no leaves on the lower nodes. It'll take a few weeks for the roots to take. Be patient. Good luck.

Reply to
Jutta Haas

Ok, can I put a dozen or so in the same bucket? Would any thing aid (within the water) rooting, such as some diluted plant food?

Reply to
Simpledog

I've only ever rooted 3 or so at a time. I don't know if plant food helps or hinders. I don't think you need it. I just remembered that for some reason not all slips root. Also, depending on the zone you live in, they don't overwinter through frost. I always take mine in. So much for your hedge, maybe.

Reply to
Jutta Haas

I'm experimenting with the same thing. I put 6 cuttings in a jar of water with a little Miracle Grow and a little rooting compound. They all died. Guess I'll go back to the basics.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Consider placing pussy willow stems in your water cut like pencils. Seems it helps rooting. I can't think of the source maybe some old Rodale press article.

William(Bill)

Reply to
William Wagner

"............. Ok, can I put a dozen or so in the same bucket? Would any thing aid (within the water) rooting, such as some diluted plant food? .........."

I have been wondering something along similar lines. I have been wondering if you added some of the crystals that you get to give cut flowers a longer life, as it also keeps the water sweet for several weeks. Wouldn't be as strong as a liquid fertilizer

Reply to
David Hill

Another Willow ref

William Wagner

well dangety, dang dang! now y'all got me thinkin' about making some more Oleanders! I got too many OTHER 'babies' started now, but i do love that pink Ole and i guess i could use another on the northside. probably have better luck this fall. but think i'll try it tomorrow. Think i'll try some superthrive on the roots for one, some vinegar on another, rooting harmone on one and if can find some one with a willow, some willow on another. ...may not have any Oleander left though, if i do that many.. tomorrow i'll be thinking clearer and maybe forget the whole thing! got too many plants started anyway.. thinking of setting some out in front with a for sale sign LOL!!!! on the fence....lee h....P.S. i think it fowls the water to put fertilizer in it. i seem to remember that the superthrive fowled the water,too, but was OK when starting a cutting in soil...???

Reply to
Lee

I just cut about 12 stalks, and put them in water.

We'll see what happens.

Reply to
Simpledog

I have a hard time believing you can just sink them in water and expect them to thrive. Why not just poke them in potting soil and maybe ( and maybe not) tent them for a while?

Reply to
Blue

Adding nutrients before roots are established promotes rot. Use just plain water.

Better, root the cuttings in a mix of peat moss and sand. (See my , but omit all nutrients.) Potting up cuttings rooted in water often injures the roots.

Reply to
David Ross

it usually works if done at the right time of year. In Feb of i think about 1984 (zone 7) my neighbor cut his althea back severly and i took a dozen or so of the whips, removed the lower leaves and stuck them in a bucket with about 4 inches of water, left them in the solarium in a shaded area, added water when needed and nearly everyone of them sprouted. was able to have a nice line of them on the north property line. This was when i had the lake place. My neighbor was a fine gardner and very wise and i learned a lot from him. I can't remember if I tipped them or not. lee h

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
Jutta Haas