Old Smoke Tree

We have a really old smoke tree in our yard. It is beautiful and has this great shape to it in that it curves up but I believe the tree is on its last limbs (-: . We are having some landscaping done and can't decide if we should take it out. I constantly have to cut back suckers. How can you tell if a tree is worth saving?