old bulbs / tubers

I have been slowly re-doing the garden of my 3 year old purchase in Queensland and I have noticied that the previous owners have put what I think are either Clivia or Hippiastrums around the place that I have never seen flower - I thought it may have been because they have been choked for so long I thought once I cleared it out they would flower next year...well i'ts next year and none of them look like they are - so my question is, what can I do to encourage them to flower? They get watered and they are not completely in the sun, and they are mulched quite well. Any suggestions?