OK: Wet compost in insulated container with aeration,

Mostly grass clippings. How can I tell when the process is done ? I.E. When the pathogens and seeds are dead ? Drew

Reply to
Drew

To get the heat you would need to kill seeds and pathogens is going to require about 1cu yd of compost as a minimum.

Compost is "done" when you no longer recognize the ingrediants that went in.

Seems to me you are making too much work out of this. I defy anyone to pile up damp organic material and have it not rot.

Reply to
bamboo

What about the Grass Seeds ? How do I kill them ? drew

Reply to
Drew

It's going to get mushy in the center, probably within a couple of days. It's best to find some dried fluff to mix in. Will leaves be falling soon where you live?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yes. I live in Eastern Ohio, Leaves are falling from my Red Maple already. There are a lot of trees in the neighborhood and i plan to use them as a winter cover. drew

Reply to
Drew

Put some in a pile and go over them with your lawnmower to turn them into flakes. Easier if you have a bag attachment, but not necessary. Mix with the grass, about half & half.

Reply to
Doug Kanter