ok to plant peach tree now?

I am in zone five, and planning to plant a peach tree asap. the only tree I have found is Crimson Rocket which should work well in my smaller yard. Nursery person says that this is good time to plant, however I am reading that peach trees should be planted when they are dormant. I would prefer to plant now but not sure.

Reply to
jazzhead

It's best to plant peaches and other stone fruits as bare-root, which is available only when they are dormant. However, many nurseries no longer carry bare-root fruits or roses.

Unless cold weather has already begun where you live, planting now might trigger the growth of new leaves and branches. These will be killed when the temperatures drop to sub-zero values. In the spring, that will retard recovery.

If you cannot get a dormant bare-root tree, I would wait until early spring (when the soil can be worked) to buy a container-grown tree and plant it then.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I don't think peach trees do well in Zone 5, winters can be too brutal. With limited space I'd not take a chance with peach trees. If you had plenty of space to experiment I'd say go for it but odds are not in favor of peach tree survival where temperatures are likely to dive to the minus 20s and lower. And even under the best conditions peach trees don't have longiviety. Peach isn't even a handsome tree, there are much better choices for your climate... with limited space I'd be thinking cherry trees, sour cherry trees are gorgeous and valuable.

Reply to
Brooklyn1