Oh Deer, Where Are All The Hunters?

Wow! Here you get one buck and one doe (provided you remembered to buy a doe tag). Every once in a while, they have a special season in areas that are totally overrun with deer, but that's only good for one more. Then again, since Pennsylvania is second only to Michigan in the number of licensed hunters, two per season may be enough.

Reply to
BR

That's why we have the season & bag limits that we do - we are totally overrun with deer. IIRC, Alabama has the second highest deer population in the US. Killing only bucks was letting the does breed like rabbits. Plus killing the big bucks left the inferior small bucks to breed and now the majority of our deer population is growth deficient. Conservation management finally came to their senses and decided it was time to thin out the does, but I believe they waited too long because we haven't even started to get the population back in balance.

Reply to
Bob

Cervids who behave badly around my home are known as venison. And they *are* tasty.

Reply to
Jan Flora