Off topic - five one thousandths of one percent

...of the world's population left us in the year now ending, due to acts of nature.
200k - Tsunami 1k - Katrina 79k - Kashmir
280,000 is what percent of 6,000,000,000?
280,000 = x6,000,000,000
28 = x600,000
28/600,000 = x600,000/600,000
x = .0000466
x = .00466
It's been 10 years since I've had a math course. Can anyone correct my figuring?
Mike wrote: < Snip > Nope you are 100% correct! It is Off Topic. S why post it here?
He said in the Subject Line that it was OT. Why did you even bother to read it if you find an occassional OT post offensive. And better yet, why did you bother to reply?
Well, you left off many thousands killed in other natural disasters. Probably a thousand or so killed in Guatemala and Honduras during their hurricane, as well as people killed in other earthquakes, mudslides, volcanic eruptions, floods, forest fires and drought. However, your final percentage is probably reasonably close.

of
World - Population: 6,446,131,400

00466 of one percent. You got it right.
To put that figure in perspective, .00391% die every day, assuming an average lifespan of 70 years.
-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.