odd question

I know maybe this isn't the newsgroup to ask this question but you all seem pretty intelligent to me. I was driving past a man made lake today and was wondering... If big enough and left long enough, would a body of water eventually get fish in it? If so, how would would they get there? I thought about bird droppings, which would work for seeds, but not for fish eggs. Maybe this is a silly question but I thought I'd ask and see if anybody here knows the answer.
Pat

It seems the answer to your question is YES.
The article I read stated that one way bodies of water are populated with fish is by storms scooping fish out of one place and dropping them in another.
Another way is ducks & other birds landing in the water and carrying fish eggs in their feathers to another body of water.
Marv-Montezuma, IA http://community.webshots.com/user/vmwood

First, it depends on the source of the water. If they took a stream and made a damn and created a lake, then yes, it will have fish. If it is run-off water (from higher areas around the lake) then it won't -- initially.
Certain birds will carry fish a distance before stopping to eat it and it is possible, I suppose, that they will eventually drop a fish in a body of water. BTW, the first resident (until he finds out there are no fish) will probably be a snapping turtle who can travel long distances over ground.
However, most man-made ponds are just simple stocked with fish to create a healthy body of water. Stagnant water with no life creates scummy, algea-ridden, mosquito havens -- obviously not a good idea. Locally, we have a traveling band of fish salesman who will sell us large and small mouth bass, catfish, albino catfish, perch and feeder minnows as well as Koi for those foo-foo farmers who have to have perty fish in their ponds.
And, just FYI: it's a pond if it is under an acre in size. If it is an acre or larger it is called a "lake" and the tax bracket is adjusted appropriately.
Giselle
Rev "Fragile Warrior" wrote:

It was just a hypothetical question. If somebody were to scoop out a hole in the ground, fill it with water and just let it sit, whether or not it would eventually get fish in it. I wasn't talking about a particular one I saw, just a general question. But you all gave me a few scenarios to think about. Thanks. <G>
Pat

So some of them would get dropped on land, right? Just how many times have you noticed stranded fish flapping around your lawn/road/city?
Janet.
contains these words:

Never have looked that hard, but I don't think they would last very long out of water especially ones small enough to get sucked up in a blast of air.
contains these words:

Actually, they do, but very shortly afterward they hit dry ground they magically transform into something different. I forget the scientific name for the result, but some of the common names are: baked fish, coyote fudge, vulture droppings and worm food.
Seems like amphibians have a higher chance for a joyride through the sky, though. As for the original question, I think there was a imported snakefish invasion in Maryland where the fish supposedly climbed out of the water to infest other ponds. Other, less mobile fish may have to rely on floods or cyclonic action.
Janet Baraclough wrote:

I was once riding my bike on a flooded stretch of road and got a little fish caught up in the spokes of my wheel. So I guess that'd count as "at least once."
PatK Wrote:

Well, it would probably take a little while for any to evolve, but suppose the usual way for them to get in somewhere like that would b because of nearby rivers flooding, unless it was near the Everglade and has fish capable of crawling over-land
-- stejeb