odd iris

I have a variety of iris at home and this year three plants have odd blooms on them I've never seen before. I don't know if they're just blooming for the first time or if they're defective or virus or the result of some accidental cross. Both petals and sepals are narrow and it's bearded.
A photo is at
http://www.amherst.edu/~jkprice/yaws/odd-iris.gif
The image is sort of large, but I did want you to be able to see how odd it is.
Should I just rip it out now so it doesn't spread?
Janet

Heck no, some grower might want to buy it from you. I think it's beautiful. I wouldn't mind having one myself as when plants do odd things like this, I find it fascinating and exciting.

Thanks for your responses.
Both sepals and petals are sort of heavy and stiff. These three stalks are in the midst of iris that look like this:
http://www.amherst.edu/~jkprice/yaws/bearded-iris.jpg
And I gotta say that I like this one better. Perhaps what I'll do is mark both kinds and at least separate the odd ones and see what they do next year.
Janet

Well, they both are very pretty. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the mutant or "odd" one. It almost looks like a lily. I hope you don't lose it when you separate it. They're pretty hard to kill. A greenhouse dumped a bunch of one, and there they were, growing on the side of the ravine.

We have a wild Iris that looks a lot like that. It dates back to 1800 when a settler put a note about it in his journal that he had a wild Iris that grows down by the creek. He had just homesteded the land.
Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down town Yountsville. Managers of the water works. http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/doc
http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/MelDonniesBluebird

Looks like Blue-Flag from here. Let the seed pods form, and if they hang down intead of upright like 'normal' iris, then I would be more certain.
I have a Yellow Flag volunteer that I've admired for about a decade. I've never touched it and it is now a healthy clump about 4 feet in diameter.
-snip-

Why would you do that? Even if it is some freaky new breed of Iris, it sure doesn't hurt anything-- and I for one think it is pretty.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht Janet Price snipped-for-privacy@amherst.edu wrote:
I have a variety of iris at home and this year three plants have odd blooms on them I've never seen before. I don't know if they're just blooming for the first time or if they're defective or virus or the result of some accidental cross. Both petals and sepals are narro and it's bearded.
A photo is at http://tinyurl.com/g3egd
Looks like Blue-Flag from here. Let the seed pods form, and if they hang down intead of upright like 'normal' iris, then I would be more certain.
I have a Yellow Flag volunteer that I've admired for about a decade. I've never touched it and it is now a healthy clump about 4 feet in diameter.
-snip- Should I just rip it out now so it doesn't spread?
Why would you do that? Even if it is some freaky new breed of Iris, it sure doesn't hurt anything-- and I for one think it is pretty.
Jim
your iris is really pretty. i for one would not rip it out its no doing any damage why take out something special that u have been blessed with. for some reason if things dont look perfectly normal to us we seem to try and change it. in this case im hoping that u listen to everyone an
count your blessings that u have something so special and pretty in your garden. cyaaaaa, sockiescat
-- sockiescat

Could be a hybrid that has reverted to species, or maybe a new hybrid. It looks like a wild type, quite attractive. The American Iris Society might be able to give you more info. http://www.irises.org/