Oak Tree Removal

I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate. In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what kind of price I should be expected to pay.
Thanks, Don
yes, we cut down three black walnut trees that were approx. 40 ft tall. (new addition to house)
we have a professional cut them down, saying long lengths for the lumber that are being dried right now (for new dining room table) and the short lengths (1-3 ft) for hubby to "turn" on his lathe.
i think the charge was approx. $800.
--

rosie

"If you had a European prime minister who experienced what we've
Freckles wrote:

tree, if stump is to be ground and deposition of wood, since oak is desirable as firewood or logs. Most important is not to give the tree cutter a penny until job is complete.

I recently had two pin oaks cut down here in SC. The bigger of the two required a permit to have removed. The estimates I got ranged from $1200-$3000. The low figure didn't include haul away or stump grinding. The higher figure included haul away but no stump grinding. We kept the wood, rented a logsplitter, and made about 3 seasons' worth of firewood.
Make sure the company or individual you hire has a general liability policy in place.
--
Tara

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:35:40 -0500, "Freckles"

the stump is another story. With this kind of job you'll get a variety of prices (free to $1000). Best to ask to see proof of insurance and bonded workers--ask your home insurance agent.

If you find someone willing to cut down a 40' tree for free, post his name on here, will you?
I had something like this done in Philadelphia, PA last summer with a maple tree in front of my house. The other issue you havent thought about is what you will do when the tree is down, removed and the stump ground out. Then what? That's where I am still stumped. I made a mistake. I was left with a wide (2 or 3 yards wide) hole several feet deep. Soooo...I filled part of it with the wood chips from the tree and the rest with compost and then planted fescue. The ground is now very spongy there and has sunk and Im sure will sink more. The grass is not very healthy and is spotty. I dont know what to do now. I was thinking of heaping bags of Scotts soil for lawns on it in the fall and reseeding and crossing my fingers that it will work. So you need to find out what to do with the large hole you will wind up with. Good Luck.
Freckles wrote:

The rotting wood chips used a lot of nitrogen leaving little for the grass. Adding topsoil to the hole will prepare the area for seeding. With a hole that large a truckload of topsoil will be a lot less $ than bags.

That is one of the questions I will be asking the people I call for estimates. If they don't do the work I want done, at a reasonable price, then I'll find someone that will. That's why one gets written estimates.

Uh........ pick up chain saw. Cut down tree. Cost, $000.00
Farmer John
fudge wrote:

Idiot drops tree on neighbor's house, gets sued, can't pay , gets in fight with neighbor, paralyzes neighbor, gets sent to pound-me-in-the-ass prison = PRICELESS!
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

REALLY.
Nevermind the other scenerio where idiot tries sawing through the trunk of a 40' tree and the chainsaw goes insane and cuts a major neck and/or leg artery and idiot bleeds out before anyone can even dial 9-1...
Right!!!! You live in America, the most lawyerized society on earth. I suspect the major cost for a tree surgeon would be liability insurance. Perhaps a lawyer should actually be present when the tree is removed. No doubt many local, state and federal agency permits and licences would be required.
F.J.
fudge wrote:

yep - that's the land of the free for ya!
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

No, the tree is on my property and I can have it cut down any time I wish, by anyone I wish. No permits, licenses or any legal paper work at all is required.
The folks at the court house did recommended I make certain the company that does the work has up-to-date liability insurance.
Which makes a lot of sense to me regardless of where one lives.

I had a neighbor that was killed by tree falling on him while cutting it up. Also had a manager that nearly bled to death when he cut an artery in his leg. And, then there was the treecutter that fell and injured his shoulder so bad he became a heroin addict after becoming addicted to opiate pain killers. I have a chainsaw for minor work myself but keep safety paramount.
Frank

I used to keep a chainsaw around but I heard about too many accidents from kickback to feel comfortable about using it casually. (Although you can buy safety gear such as "chaps" made to prevent kickback injuries to the thighs/legs.) Now it's just easier to get some other poor schmuc... er... businessman... to do it. :)
You are not going to believe this, but I swear it was on Discovery Health. This guy was cutting down a tree with a chainsaw, slipped, and a branch went UP his YOU-KNOW-WHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They took him to surgery, & a tree limb had perforated his bowels & everything...........that is a real pain in butt........................they did not know if he would live or die from infection that all the dirt, leaves, etc. had brung into his system. That was about the strangest thing I have ever seen on a health show. FragileWarrior wrote: