Oak tree nodules

Anyone seen this before? My neighbors tree has these odd, hard nodules forming on most of the leaves of his oak tree. A Google search came up bare, but I'm not sure what to search for anyway. It seems to drop bunches of leaves all summer, still connected to twigs. Otherwise looks healthy.
http://www.rauth.com/pix/oakleaves.jpg
Thanks, Rick
Rick wrote:

Gall seems to be the proper term. There are several different causes but many are from insects injecting their eggs between the layers of the leaf which then develop there causing the odd growth. I'd try slicing some open with a super sharp blade and then inspecting the innards with a magnifying lens. If you seen little grubs then you have a good idea what is going on. A Google for "oak leaf gall" (without the quotes of course) will give you page after page of reading material that may pertain.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Rick wrote:

Large, round growths are oak galls, caused by the larva of a tiny wasp. It irritates the leaf tissues, causing the gall to form. Inside, it's somewhat corky. Older galls show small holes through which the mature wasp exits. These are generally harmless to the tree. In colonial times, settlers would gather the galls and boil them to extract the tannic acid, which they would then use to tan leather, set dyes in yarn, and make ink.
It's quite common for an oak tree to shed leaves in bunches, still attached to twigs. However, if the tree is being defoliated, then there is likely some insect causing damage. Such damage two or three years in a row can severely injure or even kill the tree. Since a mature oak can be quite valuable, it's worth the price to have a professional treat the tree to stop such insects.
--

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/
: Anyone seen this before? My neighbors tree has these odd, hard nodules : forming on most of the leaves of his oak tree. A Google search came up bare, : but I'm not sure what to search for anyway. It seems to drop bunches of : leaves all summer, still connected to twigs. Otherwise looks healthy. :
http://www.rauth.com/pix/oakleaves.jpg
: Thanks, : Rick : :
LOL leave it to you to notice tile. it is pretty tho
--
:) Lynn

"SVTKate" < snipped-for-privacy@whatever.complaint.dept> wrote in message
SVTKate wrote:

What does "hella" mean?

USDA Zone 8
hella is like hekka like WAY COOL
only more so :)
: > > : > > LOL leave it to you to notice tile. it is pretty tho : > > -- : > > :) Lynn : > > : > : > Don't you ever look at what's in the background? : > Like in movies, I love to look at what is in the backgrounds. : > People, stuff.. I find it infinitely enlightening. : > : > I have this friend that sends me pictures of her garden. I ALWAYS : > look at what is in the background ..... : > I get some hella cool ideas for things like tomato cages and garden : > layout. : > : > *snikker* : : What does "hella" mean? : : -- : : Travis in Shoreline (just North of Seattle) Washington : USDA Zone 8 : Sunset Zone 5
and long grass and chicken coop? thanks for the warning :)
--
:) Lynn

"SVTKate" < snipped-for-privacy@whatever.complaint.dept> wrote in message
Hey, you are what you plant LOL
: > : > I have this friend that sends me pictures of her garden. I ALWAYS look at : > what is in the background ..... : > I get some hella cool ideas for things like tomato cages and garden : > layout. : > : > *snikker* : > : > : > : > : :
Nothing special about that tile. Self stick, probably got it at Home Depot. It replaces some lame mousepad type thing that came with the rolltop desk.
--
Rick