NWF Certification. . .grr. . . .

Your garden sounds similar to mine. I'm sorry you can't understand my original point, but oh well.

Reply to
Sparky Organic

No. You commented on someone's desire to have a piece of paper saying their yard was special. I commented on the desire to have a piece of paper saying YOU were special.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
Sparky Organic

You man the booth at the county fair, do filing in the office, answer phones, do weeding, etc. Hardly a learning experiennce. I wouldn't work in an office.

No, you cannot use it to get a job in the field of horticulture because it means nothing. If you answer the question on the application by saying, "yes, I want to be certified to get a job in the field," you are usually turned down. They do not want professionals in the program.

The Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat is something else. I have my yard certified so when people bitch about my plants, which appeal to animals and birds are there for birds to eat, they can't sue me for removing them once they go to seed. Sure it looks ragged at this time of year, but I have many wild birds swinging on spent sunflowers, and that's why I have that sign on my garden.

Reply to
Jangchub

I also take a Buddhist approach and it makes people ask what that is and it suddenly turns another backyard into a habitat. It's aa consciousness raising purpose. I certainly don't need to show off, nor do I ever do that.

Reply to
Jangchub

Hey Sparky,

You're the person who vehemently put down the efforts of a wildlife habitat certification. Dish it, but take it.

Reply to
Jangchub

Some towns have rules about "messy" yards, so complaints may actually result in a visit from a zoning droid. Does the certification help minimize the

*legal* threat, as opposed to just complaints from neighbors?
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Because I love the work of the NWF and WWF I'm screwing someone on their staff? What is it I don't get? That the NWF doesn't screw people the way you clearly implied?

Reply to
Jangchub

Yes, absolutely. It has to be both Texas Parks and Wildlife AND NWF Certified. Most people here out of 31 homes all know I have to let it go wild and scruffy for a period which many plants set seed. Sometime in September we'll go out and neaten up.

They sure do love the entire lawn and street strips in spring when the Bluebonnets are thick with color.

Reply to
Jangchub

Ah, okay...you're a nutter. RUN along

Reply to
Jangchub

Sounds similar to rec.gardens.

_________________ John Henry Wheeler Washington, DC USDA Zone 7

Reply to
Compostman

The Master Gardener program was started in King county in the state of Washington in 1972. There are now programs in all 50 states.

Learn more here:

Travis M.