NWF Certification. . .grr. . . .

My local paper ran a news story about a woman here whose garden has been certified as a wildlife habitat by the National Wildlife Federation. I was shocked to see all the hype, because this is such a bogus "certification."

When we lived in South Carolina (mistake, not my fault) I heard about NWF certification and I investigated it. What I found was that it was ridiculously easy to be "certified" online, and that the only issue was payment.

So when I saw this article I decided to do my own investigation before writing the letter to the editor that was bubbling up inside of me. I Googled "National Wildlife Federation" and within SEVEN MINUTES my yard was a certified NWF habitat! They presented me with checklists in order to "qualify," and the instructions were to check at least 2 of this category, or at least one of that category, etc. Once that was done (and my $15.00 charge had been processed) I was certified. If I'd wanted a sign for my front yard it would have cost me another $25.00.

Now I know the NWF has good intentions, but I also remember what the road to hell is paved with. This is so clearly just a money-generating scheme that it makes me ill. If I'd wanted to spend another $15 I could have had the city dump certified as a "national wildlife refuge", or the parking lot of the local WalMart. There is no verification process, and anyone can just get online and certify anything. Hey, how about the county jail? They have a lot of "wildlife."

I am a Master Gardener and I garden completely organically. I eat organic meat, but I draw the line at tofu and other new age phenomena. I care very much about this planet, and I do what I can do for it. In some ways this "certification" program is insidiously evil in a very strange way, because the NWF has realized what I and people like myself care passionately about and they have found a way to make money from our concerns without giving anything back.

So I wrote that letter to the editor, and we'll see what happens with that.

Reply to
Sparky Organic

There are endless ways for people to purchase titles and recognition. You can get a degree in comparative literature. What does it prove? You read lots of books and compared them? More books than someone who loves to read, but doesn't need to diploma to prove it? If you live on a beach, there's probably a way to have your 100 feet of sand declared an official clam sanctuary.

What about Master Gardener? You capitalized the words, which suggests it's an official title given to you for some reason. What's that about?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Do you honestly not know what a Master Gardener is? Oh well. I disagree with most of what you said. Most titles or degrees reflect some level of study or achievement. NWF certification does not.

Reply to
Sparky Organic

I know a number of definitions of "master gardener". I want to know what YOUR words mean to YOU. Were you certified by some organization?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Ther eis only one legitimate definition of Master Gardener. You're sounding very trollish, and I don't feel you are asking a serious question, so I'm not going to play this game.

Reply to
Sparky Organic

Trollish? I'm asking you valid questions. You say you are a master gardener. I know that some organization bestows that title. NGA, maybe? It doesn't matter, though. I want to know why you sought to have the title. My question is directly related to your original post.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's a certification granted by the state agricultural extension service after the gardener completes some course work and community service (and pays a fee, of course.) I'm pretty sure it varies from state to state. A Master Gardener is recognized by the state as being qualified to give gardening advice (answering calls referred from the county agent's office, etc.)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Thanks, Bob. I know the question was trollish and rude, but there was still an answer out there somewhere.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My yard is both WWF and Texas Parks and Wildlife Certified. I have many snakes, about 30 species of birds, inluding a road runner, woodpeckers, cuckoo bird and her broods yearly, a great blue heron atop one of our largest trees, a female grey fox with her pups, etc. No neigbors have anything close to this. It doesn't cost 25 for a sign. It's included in the 15 from my recallation.

To slander this organizati>My local paper ran a news story about a woman here whose garden has

Reply to
Jangchub

Yeah, and a Master Gardener is given a certificate after they do slave labor for a certain amount of work, physical hours of work. Then, each year to maintain your status, you must do it every year.

When you walk out a Master Gardener you know basic information. I have that certification in three states.

Reply to
Jangchub

Because you know your busted. Anyway, it was okay for you to libel an organization which does more for wildlife than everything you'll do in your life and all your Master Garden friends will ever do.

Reply to
Jangchub

The county extention office. It's usually taught by several people using slides, boring. By the way, when I got my three master gardener certifications, it was 75 dollars each.

Reply to
Jangchub

If it's based on slave labor, I must be a master gardener, based on the amount of work I do in my gardens. 33+ years of this, and I've got the calluses to show for it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It qualifies you to answer the phones and with mountains of books and periodicals by your side, you answer questions. Most of the time you get incorrect recommendations.

Reply to
Jangchub

This brings us right back to the OP's comments. Why did he want the Master Gardener certification and secret decoder ring? Probably for the same reason someone would pay what is essentially the normal NWF membership fee, and get a certificate in return.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Don't side step this one. I know what I'm talking about as I taught part of the MG program at one time. The program requires you to do a certain amount of hours of labor in order to qualify for the title. At one time it was 50 hours on THEIR programs, not your garden.

Reply to
Jangchub

The difference is that, with the NWF or WWF (World Wildlife Foundation) you are providing food, water and a place to have broods, lay reptile eggs, have brush piles for shelter, and in the case of the Texas certification you must have a minimum of 50% native species.

The master gardeners are nothing like NWF or WWF certicfation.

Reply to
Jangchub

I'm not sidestepping anything, nor am I commenting on the value of the program. How is the physical work you described different from what some of us do at home? Without knowing anything about what I've grown (or killed) for over 30 years, it's hard to say one path to knowledge is better than another, ya know?

My only negativity here comes from the OP's comments about other peoples' desire to have a little certificate saying their yard is something special. I agree with him, frankly, but at the same time, I wonder why have a piece of paper saying you're a master gardener, unless you intend to use it in volunteer work, or perhaps as part of getting a job in that field? If you're not doing either of those things, why isn't your own evaluation of your knowledge good enough? You may know more about peonies or rheum palmatum than someone else who's only well versed about lawn weeds.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I agree that those backyard goals are a good thing. But, I take sort of a Buddhist attitude toward the certificate and the lawn sign. It's showing off.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm confused as to why you want to know why I wanted to become a master gardener. Are you studying me? Are my motivations that fascinating?

But for your information, the reason I took the course was to learn things. You know, education? The classes were intense and the test was very difficult, and many people I took the class with didn't pass the test. I now know a lot more than I knew before.

I am also done with this thread. I posted a legitimate message and all I've gotten are inane comments. I have no idea what you're up to, but it sure isn't honest communication.

Reply to
Sparky Organic