NW: Best grass for a non garden/non mowing kind of guy

Hello,
Been reading your great posts and I have to apologize ahead of time as I dont have the gardening bug. But I sure could use your help.
We are a week away from moving into our new house and had a very advanced (and expensive! *ugh*) drip septic system put in.
What I need to know is the best grass for a non garden guy. I am hoping to mow as little as possible but I still want something that I can walk on. The biggest need is to preserve the ground and prevent runoff. Ideally I would like something to spray on or seed.
I know this has been discussed on the groups numerous times and I have followed around the threads. But many people look at grass as a labor of love and I am looking at it a bit more conventionally.
Oh, the lawn area would be maybe 3,500 square feet if that makes a difference
Thanks for any thoughts
Scott
Some of the better varieties are Acapulco Gold, Maui Wowie and Frenchman's Treat.
Scott Cory wrote:

If you find mowing that adverse, then perhaps you should consider not using grass at all. There are any of a number of ground covers that you can plant instead and they will serve the same purpose as grass without the mowing. Additionally, if you section the space out and plant a few perennial beds, maybe a tree or two, you can reduce the overall mowing area significantly while not at all adding a high degree of maintenance tasks.
James
On 1 Dec 2003 12:25:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (Scott Cory) wrote: But many people look at grass as a labor

Well, i despise lawns and would sooner install parquet flooring outdoors as mow a lawn. let me ask you this, do you live in a place which forbids such things as "meadows"? a meadow is a delightful thing or place, it allows for picnics and other oudoor adventures and does not require mowing. the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens publishes a booklet on groundcovers and grasses; i wrote a wee chapter on dwarf groundcover bamboos for it...but it is also full of other things you could plant, many of which would add up to an actual meadow. lawns are evil things, they lead to golf and mowing and other dangerous pastimes.
I support your efforts fully.
snipped-for-privacy@endangerdspecies.com
Yes, I too hate lawns. I promised my entire family I would NOT have a lawn. I swore I would just pave it and make it into a big chess board. But one of the joys of having to spend $21,000 (ugh) on a septic system is that this one requires lawn, or something with a simple root structure. Its output is a drip system that sits 6 inches below the ground and is a series of pipes 12 inches apart all over the property with water dripping out everytime a toilet is flushed. So I need something to prevent runoff. We are going to do vines or whatever the ground version is and I want to be able to at least walk on the rest so it looks like grass..... Or 'grass man' to that other poster
Scott Cory wrote:

If NW in the subject line means the Pacific Northwest it is too late to plant a lawn from seed but you might get away with using sod.
USDA Zone 8b