nut tree recommendation

greetings,
we're looking to do an orchard in the spring and have settled on nut tree (seems to be less maintenance). we'll be dedicating about 1/3 to 1/2 acre of our 5 acre lot to it. wanted to gather opinions on the variety to use. we are not closed minded to having just one variety in the orchard but would prefer multiple varieties that do well together. a few things:
1) would like them all to be about the same height. perhaps 30-35 ft max. 2) the area is close to our septic field so would appreciate a tree with a non evasive root system.
we'll be using it for coverage an mostly to remove pockets of grass to cut <grin>. occasional fruits are a bonus but more for landscaping and looking at :-)
thanks.
Castenea mollisima, aka Chinese Chestnut?
Dave

I always wanted to grow pistachios, brazil nuts, and cashews. Where are you?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (matt) wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com (Beecrofter) wrote in message

intrigued with the effort to restore the american chestnut but our primary concern is obviously the blight issue. it would be a bummer to grow the orchard for several years to have them decimated by blight. anyone know the status to a blight resistant american chestnut variety and/or the status of blight in the NOVA area?
thanks
greetings neighbor. i have read the flowers of chinese chestnut is particularly foul smelling. can anyone with experience confirm?
thanks.

Confirmed! Although it isn't overpowering, I liken it to rancid meat...
Dave