Nothing but weeds

Page 2 of 2

When I was looking for a retirement home for mom, I saw some raised flower beds for the retirees such that they could pull the wheelchairs or walkers next to it without bending over to manage their plots.

I have also used long-handled weeders to clear a large hillside of weeds and to keep the weeds from adjacent wild lots at bay for many years.
To find a helpful guide for selecting a weed hand tool or tools that meet your requirements, you can Google or Yahoo! 'classify weeders'. Different weeds and situations can be matched with different types of weed tools, including those that use power and those that can be used on lawns or to scrape out weeds in cracks of sidewalks.
Enjoy your weeding work. After all, a little work won't kill ya!
------- At peace with weeds...

Some properties would require much more than couple of hours a week. Where I live everyone has large lots of from 1 to 10 acres. Some people can afford to hire yard help, some can't.

I love working in the garden! But I don't have hours and hours to devote to pulling out weeds nor can we afford to hire yard help.

If I had acres of land and were unable to keep up with the weeds, I would seriously consider converting my lawn and garden to native plants and ground covers. Native plant gardens require less resources, less irrigation, less maintenance, less weeding, less costs. Of course, there is the initial cost of ripping out your lawn, or part of it, and purchasing, finding, planting native plants.
If you wish to investigate this option, search for 'lawn conversion' with your favorite search engine.
There may also be some useful suggestions from IPM advisors at your university extension. This may involve a more thorough strategy on preventing pests and weeds from coming your way in the first place without necessarily relying so much on dangerous chems.
Or you can sell your acreage to your kids and buy a condo?
The work of weeds is tough at times, I admit, but hard work can also help us stay healthy, even with arthritis and other problems we older folks suffer from. There's no health benefit that I know of from watching TV or flipping through magazines, or playing bingo!
If weeding is boring to you, you can also look for weed poetry on the web to help inspire you?
----- At peace with weeds!
wrote in message wrote:

I've done that with a pick ax and than pull out the roots one by one. The pick ax is the only hand tool that will work, as the ground is almost as hard as concrete. Weeds came right back in a few months.
I'm on my second gas string trimmer cutting off the weeds at the ground level and than vacuum it off with a lawn mower. Need to replete this process every few weeks. All nonsense busy work taking much need time from doing other things like fixing 7hp Troy-Bilt tiller so I could really go after the weeds. :)
I'm installing a greenhouse to keep the blown in weed seeds out. The remaining area I will do a raised bed to have better control of the weeds and around it either concrete or stone pavers. Wife and I are getting old so I'm doing this for her while I still can. Weeds be gone, hopefully most of it anyway.

What green house are you buying? We have a small 6X8' HFGH and just ordered a larger 8.5 X 16.5 Rion. What a pleasure owning a greenhouse is.

Its this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber358
Much cheaper than your Rion but needed modification so the wind won't carry it to the neighbor's backyard. I just broke ground and about to pour a concrete foundation over this weekend. Had to remove a tree stump first. I'm knocking my brains out as to how to anchor this sucker so that I could relocate it later.

Easy. Drill holes on all 4 sides of the bottom frame rectangle of the GH. Then, before the concrete foundation, press in some screw bolts, facing up, matching where the holes will sit. Make sure you get them absolutely matching the holes, and upright. When the concrete found has set. place the GH base over the sticking -up bolts and screw down some big nuts to secure it. When you want to move it, all you have to do is unscrew the nuts.
Janet.

This wouldn't be a problem if the base were strong and wide enough to accept a bolt gracefully. As is, the base is of thin gauge metal, 22 or 20 gauge steel, and very flexible so I'm sure it couldn't withstand wind loading such as shear and pullout moment without some stiffening or modification. I may end up burying the base in concrete as it was designed to be buried anyway.