Norway Maple - Northern California

prefer the shape of the Sycamores.

Please tell me that massive lawn in the picture, doesn't have little worm mounds on the surface, and mole tunnels running through it;-)

Reply to
Myrl

You guys are killin' me;-). . .Play nice kids, it's just a tree;-) At least you guys are interested in planting trees. I have had a couple of relationships with guys that seem hell bent on chain sawing them down. I came to the realization, they may have not wanted any trees out there standing taller than their's;-(

Reply to
Myrl

Et tu, Joe?

The attitude of *most* of us on the USENET, eh? ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

But Charlie - it's true! I'm always right. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hi Myrl Nice to hear from you again. Here is what Sunset Western Garden Book says about Norway Maple: "Once a widely recommended street tree but now strogly objected to because of voracious roots, sel sown seedlings, and aphid caused honeydew deip and sooty mold." 50 to 60 feet tall!!

I have a Trident Maple, which has very good color, and gets about

25-30 feet tall. It does not produce seedlings, and seems (so far) not to be susceptible to aphids. It's a very attractive tree. (I started it from a seed so it has taken a while to attain about 15-20 feet right now) Trident Maple is fairly popular here. Norways are not. I live north of you in Butte County so our climate is very similar.

It might be interesting to see what the Sac. Tree Group has to say anyway.

Good luck with your tree. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Emilie - Thank you so much for the suggestion. . .Yes, that looks like a really good candidate, and definitely worth considering!

By the way, I camped with my kids up at Black Buttes over Memorial Day weekend. Very beautiful and interesting area!

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl

The message from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

You must be wrong about some things , Joe, because your name is not Sheldon (blame your parents for that, but it's never too late to change).

Sheldette.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Ms. Baraclough,

A personal question, if you please. One acceptable answer is: "none of your business". I have come across your surname only once before: an officer and short time friend (our assignments overlapped only a few months) at McChord AFB in WA state in the late 70's. Any relation?

cheers

oz, who misses the sea run cutt fishing in the Nisqually River

Reply to
MajorOz

The message from MajorOz contains these words:

No, not that I know of (I'm in the UK).

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

The people who rented my house before I bought it put their names inside of the mailbox. One of the names, if I am not mistaken, was Baraclough. K

Reply to
KarenCannoli

There probably aren't too many people named Karen Cannoli either.

Reply to
Sheldon

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere

Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
up "Tree Planting"
Mulching -
Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning

Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
Farming and Related Problems
John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

It depends on time of year, early spring and fall there are some worm castings at the surface but they don't last long, the robins see to that. And as for moles, voles, and field mice, snakes, frogs, etc. that population stays under control, that's the raptor's job. I don't apply any lawn chemicals, no one around here does. I much prefer healthy critters than perfect golf course. Actually I never see mole holes in my lawn except some at the extreme edges, small animals know better than to surface out in the open, even the rabbits know to keep to the very edges of the woods. No one leaves their cats and dogs out here either, they wouldn't last more than a day or two before they'd become a meal... a house cat wouldn't make it across my lawn even once before some raptor carries it off, and even the largest most ferocious dog, if it survived through the day it wouldn't make the first night, if a mountain lion doesn't get it the coyotes will.

Reply to
Sheldon

Sheldon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

more crap. really Sheldon, unless you have eagles & possibly Great Horned owls, no raptor is going after a cat. they're too big. my barn cats are free ranging & i have all kinds of hawks, vultures, & owls (including Great Horned), and the cats are 5 years old, healthy & still alive. cars are far more of a danger to outdoor cats than raptors or coyotes. (if you had mentioned fisher cats, i'd agree. fishers will break into a house to eat fresh cat.) the coyotes would be more of a threat, but they seldom come down from the mountain & across the pasture (where the llamas are waiting to stomp them into goo). besides, the standard diet for a coyote is the same as a fox: mice, moles, voles, frogs, snakes, & the occaisional rabbit or chicken. as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything but a kick-me size "dog". and i sincerely doubt you have any mountain lions in your neighborhood.

lee

Reply to
enigma

kick-me size ROFL! Thanks. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You're more ig'nant/smarmy than lee, the length of your nose is quickly catching up with his too... ONE coyote. Ahahahaha

Reply to
Sheldon

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:gLTGi.16377$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

you're welcome. :) my SO's niece has a chihuahua. i call him "Snack". she gets really pissed off. lee

Reply to
enigma

One of my favorite Far Side cartoon shows a kick-me dog standing on a stepstool, little cup in hand, at an espresso machine on the counter. Caption: "While their owners sleep, small dogs prepare for their day."

Pass the ammo.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Sheldon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

you know damn well i'm not a "he", you ignorant cityboy. coyotes hunt in small family groups or alone. we're not talking wolves here. even a family group of coyotes isn't going to mess with a real dog. i actually haven't heard the local coyotes since i shot the rabid mom with her pup in my front yard last summer... pity. i like listening to them.

lee

Reply to
enigma

enigma expounded: