Norway Maple - Northern California

Ms. Baraclough,
A personal question, if you please. One acceptable answer is: "none of your business". I have come across your surname only once before: an officer and short time friend (our assignments overlapped only a few months) at McChord AFB in WA state in the late 70's. Any relation?
cheers
oz, who misses the sea run cutt fishing in the Nisqually River

No, not that I know of (I'm in the UK).
Janet
contains these words:

inside of the mailbox. One of the names, if I am not mistaken, was Baraclough. K

There probably aren't too many people named Karen Cannoli either.

Incredibly beautiful Sycamores on the webpage link you sent!

Probably my favorite tree. I planted two here when I first moved in... of course even though planetrees grow fast I won't be here when they actually become trees, but people plant trees for the next generation. I'm sure the trees in that photo are at least 150 years old. Mine were bare root seedlings not much larger than a stick of spaghetti about 4 years ago. I wanted larger but after extensive searching no one nearby had any, it's rare to find them at nurserys.
There are those two planetrees on either side of the road to my barn, about 9-10 feet tall now, but still mere babies. The tree planted to the left is a ginko, that will take much longer to become a tree, ginkgos typically live more than 2,000 years, some twice that. Ginkgos are another of my favorites, I planted two of those also... those need a lot of space too, but none of us, our great grand children or even their great grand children will be around anymore when my gingkos get to where they need half the space I provided.
A very interesting and beautiful site: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten

Sorry, forgot the link:
http://i15.tinypic.com/52olwd0.jpg

That's an incredibly beautiful setting. I'm also fond of Ginkos, but prefer the shape of the Sycamores.
Please tell me that massive lawn in the picture, doesn't have little worm mounds on the surface, and mole tunnels running through it;-)

It depends on time of year, early spring and fall there are some worm castings at the surface but they don't last long, the robins see to that. And as for moles, voles, and field mice, snakes, frogs, etc. that population stays under control, that's the raptor's job. I don't apply any lawn chemicals, no one around here does. I much prefer healthy critters than perfect golf course. Actually I never see mole holes in my lawn except some at the extreme edges, small animals know better than to surface out in the open, even the rabbits know to keep to the very edges of the woods. No one leaves their cats and dogs out here either, they wouldn't last more than a day or two before they'd become a meal... a house cat wouldn't make it across my lawn even once before some raptor carries it off, and even the largest most ferocious dog, if it survived through the day it wouldn't make the first night, if a mountain lion doesn't get it the coyotes will.

more crap. really Sheldon, unless you have eagles & possibly Great Horned owls, no raptor is going after a cat. they're too big. my barn cats are free ranging & i have all kinds of hawks, vultures, & owls (including Great Horned), and the cats are 5 years old, healthy & still alive. cars are far more of a danger to outdoor cats than raptors or coyotes. (if you had mentioned fisher cats, i'd agree. fishers will break into a house to eat fresh cat.) the coyotes would be more of a threat, but they seldom come down from the mountain & across the pasture (where the llamas are waiting to stomp them into goo). besides, the standard diet for a coyote is the same as a fox: mice, moles, voles, frogs, snakes, & the occaisional rabbit or chicken. as for the dogs, no coyote is going to mess with anything but a kick-me size "dog". and i sincerely doubt you have any mountain lions in your neighborhood.
lee
--
"the Government of the United States is not, in any sense,
founded on the Christian religion."

kick-me size ROFL! Thanks. :-)

You're more ig'nant/smarmy than lee, the length of your nose is quickly catching up with his too... ONE coyote. Ahahahaha

you know damn well i'm not a "he", you ignorant cityboy. coyotes hunt in small family groups or alone. we're not talking wolves here. even a family group of coyotes isn't going to mess with a real dog. i actually haven't heard the local coyotes since i shot the rabid mom with her pup in my front yard last summer... pity. i like listening to them.
lee
--
"the Government of the United States is not, in any sense,
founded on the Christian religion."

you're welcome. :) my SO's niece has a chihuahua. i call him "Snack". she gets really pissed off. lee <has 2 dogs: a Great Pyr/Border Collie and a Malamute. neither one *ever* annoys the neighbors>

One of my favorite Far Side cartoon shows a kick-me dog standing on a stepstool, little cup in hand, at an espresso machine on the counter. Caption: "While their owners sleep, small dogs prepare for their day."
Pass the ammo.

Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

You sick woman. That's wonderful. :-)

oooh! i like that. Snack is the niece's 2nd chihuahua. the first one she got for Christmas & her brother accidentally stepped on it. it died. not the type of dog a person with a toddler should own, if it's that fragile! i really do prefer dogs that you can at least see, but i'm more of a cat person at heart. lee
--
"the Government of the United States is not, in any sense,
founded on the

Oooh, yes, I agree completely.

I'm both. I love my kitties, but miss my four-legged daughter, who was definitely easy to see (basset hound). Well-behaved, on a leash always, and always picked up after (Promise, Joe)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

well, if they said that, they were lying! Norways seed profusely. the one thing they do well is provide dense shade... but the extreme invasiveness, the crossbreeding with desirable maples, the roots heaving sidewalks & driveways and sticking up out of the dirt (because nothing grows under their dense dry shade)...

oh yeah! plant one Norway, get several thousand! i despise the damned things. lee