Non toxic, rabbit friendly plants!?

I know most of you are probably anti-rabbit on here but I need some clever minds to help me figure out which plants are NON-toxic to pet bunnies please!?

I know things like bulbs, euphorbia and foxgloves are very poisonous but iI have a pretty established garden and don't want to kill everything off!

Anyone know about hebes? hydrangea? escalonia? geranium? viola? wallflowers?

Also, I have just bought a marguerite and a campanula to plant. Are these safe? and where would they be happy to be planted? I live near the sea and have quite heavy soil (I think). I'm also thinking of getting lavendar and sage coz I know they are safe. What else would be good? Have just dug out to big euphorbia so need something nice and low maintainence to fill the gaps. Any ideas welcome!!

Thanks :)

Reply to
kt6382

You want to feed pet rabbits with live plants?

Doesn't make sense. Buy rabbit food.

Reply to
Dan Espen

No, I don't particularly want to feed them live plants (although they're great for getting rid of weeds and brambles!) I just want to continue to create a lovely garden without everything being completely destroyed at the same time as making sure that if they do accidently have a nibble then the plants are safe and they won't be poisoned.

I thought that there would definately be people on here who are much more knowledgeable about plants than me! So far I know things like lavendar and sage are safe but also not particularly appetising so will survive but I would like to know about the plants I already have so I don't need to pull them up!

Reply to
kt6382

Rabbits know what's edible and what's not edible. You typically don't see piles of dead rabbits around plants that might be toxic to rabbits.

Buy plants that enhance your garden, but don't let the rabbits loose around your plants. The rabbits will eat them.

I don't think your rabbits will "accidentally" eat anything. They'll be quite intentional about it.

By the way, there are people on this group that know more about plants than you do. Apparently, rabbits too.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Caveat emptier: when rabbits are hungry enough, they'll eat just about anything! To protect your plants, keep your bunnies well fed.

Veronica spicata Growing conditions: Full sun or partial shade and well-drained soil Height: 1-2 feet tall Zones: 3-8

Iris sibirica Growing conditions: Full sun or partial shade and well-drained soil Height: 1-3 feet tall Zones: 4-9

Salvia varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 1-5 feet tall, depending on variety Zones: 3-9, depending on variety

Paeonia varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 2-7 feet tall, depending on variety Zones: 3-8, depending on variety

Hemerocallis varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 2-6 feet tall, depending on variety Zones: 3-10, depending on variety

Hemerocallis varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 2-6 feet tall, depending on variety Zones: 3-10, depending on variety

Allium varieties Growing conditions: Full to partial sun and well-drained soil Height: 6 inches to 6 feet tall Zones: 3-10, depending on variety

Agastache varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 2-6 feet tall, depending on variety Zones: 4-10, depending on variety

Astilbe varieties Growing conditions: Shade or partial shade and moist soil Height: 1-3 feet tall Zones: 4-8

Baptisia australis Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 5 feet tall Zones: 3-9

Monarda varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and moist, well-drained soil Height: 1-3 feet, depending on variety Zones: 4-9 This is one of my dogs favorite plants to chew.

Nepeta varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 1-2 feet tall Zones: 4-8, depending on variety

Narcissus varieties Growing conditions: Sun or shade and well-drained soil Height: To 1 foot tall Zones: 3-9, depending on variety

Digitalis varieties Growing conditions: Partial sun and moist, well-drained soil Height: 2-6 feet tall, depending on variety Zones: 3-8, depending on variety

Lavandula varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 1-2 feet tall Zones: 5-8, depending on variety

Fritillaria varieties Growing conditions: Full sun or partial shade and well-drained soil Height: 6 inches to 4 feet tall Zones: 3-9, depending on variety

Helleborus varieties Growing conditions: Shade and moist, well-drained soil Height: 1-2 feet tall Zones: 4-9, depending on variety

Iris varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 3 feet tall Zones: 3-9

Stachys byzantina Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil Height: 18 inches tall Zones: 4-8

Achillea varieties Growing conditions: Full sun and well-drained soil. Height: 2-3 feet tall Zones: 3-9, depending on variety

I hope this helps.

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
Rob_in_Maryland

Rabbits do NOT instinctively know what's edible and what isn't. They return to their burrows to die. Why don't you check your facts before posting inaccuracies.

Reply to
carriebrett