Noisy squirrel in my attic. How do I get it out?

Page 1 of 2
Hi folks,
I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it open.
Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying around.
Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up in the morning when I would like to sleep.
What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did you get rid of it?
There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does this work also with squirrels?
Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.
Gene
On Apr 29, 9:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you can throw some mothballs around up there he will soon vacate and you wont be bothered.
Jack wrote:

Get a cat. Mine catches squirrels that are almost twice his size.
On Apr 29, 10:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mothballs are a bust. I had one in my attic and he used the mothballs for a pillow. Sprayed pepper spray in hole during day sealed access hole with plastic and next morning he was back. Had to set large wire animal trap every day for about two weeks with peanut butter. Tried smaller wire trap and he kept getting bait. He got the bait out of the large trap several times until I fine tuned the trigger and lubricated it with WD-40. Was going to shoot him in the face after I caught him but he stood up on his hind legs held onto the cage like a convict and begged for his life with quiet little woof sounds. Figured if he was that much of a man I would relocate him. Closed up hole with temporary patch in case he wasn't alone but have not had any new squatters. I have several of the sonic wing dings but they are not effective.
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:44:29 -0700 (PDT), Quaker25

Good on you for relocating him.
Respects
Gunner
Quaker25;787436 Wrote: > On Apr 29, 10:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:-

> lying

> up

Or even better .. rather than battling with an innocent creature you could have actually just sealed the hole!? The simplest solution is often the best ...
--
NathanHornby

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:48:12 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Rig up a hi-fi and play some Rick Astley music. No-one, and no-thing, will stick around for that... (-:
JD
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:19:50 +0100, JakeD wrote:

I've had good luck with this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPp5IO07D9s

Neon John wrote:

Beware. You mustn't shoot squirrels out of season or without a license.

It all depends on the laws of your state. In my state (MI) you don't need a license to hunt small game on your own land. Further, if an animal is a pest it can be dealt with.
Ken
NapalmHeart wrote:

Hmm. Makes sense that the state would have facilities for relocating a destructive deer or moose or even a mountain lion. They certainly do it for alligators in Florida.*
So, call your state game and fish commission and demand they relocate the pesky squirrel(s).
That's what your tax money if for (tell them)!
------- *Though not Louisiana. I recall an interview with the governor of Louisiana when a reporter suggested that animal preservation activists were opposed to an open hunting season on alligators.
"Well, son, they don't know nothin' 'bout gators! We's lip-deep in gators down here! They's lined up on the side of the interstate just a-waitin' for somebody to have a flat! You gimme the names of some of them folks up in Massachusetts or wherever and I'll SEND 'em some 'gators. We's got lots!"
Makes sense that the state would have facilities for relocating a

offending alligators in florida are all taken away and killed. theres no where left to relocate them too.........
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Your attic.

Most likely thing here is that the destructive animal would be killed. A rare animal may be dealt with otherwise, but not necessarily.
Ken

3S Rule.
Shoot, shove, shutup

ooops....blush
Gunner
Oh! When looking into this group I first saw a complaint of somewhone about a woodchuck. Same tip for you: Read the description of a selb- built smoke bomb at instructables.com. Basically a mixture of sugar and saltpeter. Should smoke a lot - but beware of the smell!
Try it! Maybe you will be happy about having a squirrel. ;-)
virtuPIC -- Airspace V - international hangar flying! http://www.airspace-v.com
On Apr 29, 7:46 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

The Montana Wolf Reduction Project credo may apply; SSS.
Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up. -----
- gpsman
Neon John wrote:

Don't you have .22 long rifle sub-sonics over there? That's what I have always used (here in Oz) with a baffle style silencer for small game (and neighborhood cats) when I wanted to be quiet. BRNO Model 2 with a twelve inch Billet Baffle silencer, makes no more noise than snapping your fingers. The sound of the firing pin hitting the cartridge is louder that the actual shot.
I mostly use it for shooting rabbits (so the sound of the shot doesn't spook the rest of them) and for killing cats. I have an intense dislike of cats that are allowed to roam free and kill wildlife. The irresponsible idiots who own them need a good hard kick up the arse on a regular basis. I put strong smelling cat treats, sardines, tuna etc., out in my yard and shoot every cat that comes over my fence. Either that or I put the bait food in a metal dish on a rubber mat and wire one side of a 240 volt mains lead to it. They make more noise when I electrocute them though, much better to shoot them - a clean head shot and they make no sound at all.
JD - in Oz.