No trumpets on my trumpet vines.

A year ago spring, in S. Florid, I planted two troupe vine plants at the base of a fan trellis. Last summer they grow about 6 feet and did not blossom. I felt that was probably normal for the first year. This year, the vines won;t stop growing, I have to keep cutting them back. However, I can't find a single bud on them.
Anyone know why?
Kramer William Redding Medical Researcher at www.linkable.org Learn a language at www.ITeachOonline.com
Mine was planted last year, and did nothing. This year, it is just now giving me a good show. I am in zone 9/10..south of New Orleans. Perry

@mindspring.com says...

The short answer - because you keep cutting them back. Trumpet vines like to climb tall trees and bloom in the top.
It is my understanding that trumpet vines bloom on last year's wood, so if you cut off that wood, the vine will not bloom. Also, I found that my trumpet vine produced more blooms when I cut back a nearby tree, thereby giving the vine more direct sun. Hope this is helpful, Gary
Trumpet vines flower on new growth. It may take a few years for flowers to appear. Height and or/trimming/not trimming wont affect blooming. Dont fertilize them, and wait a year, they will eventually flower.
Toad

Stopping them, in fact, would be a major effort.
I thank all you wonderful green thumbers. ( Is thumbers a new word, okr did I just invent it?)
Kramer William Redding Medical Researcher at www.linkable.org Learn a language at www.ITeachOonline.com