No Sweat Bees On the Dill

The dill is in full bloom.
Every year in the past it attracted swarms of sweat bees.
This year....none. Not a single sweat bee.
The only bee I have seen in the garden in the last week was one bumblebee.
The bee balm is flowering.......nothing except two butterflies and a few ants on it.
It's a wonderful world now, isn't it? Charlie.......havin' a bad news day.

Same here. A few bumblebees and small wasps and some small fling insects . I saw a single quail about 3 years ago. They used to be in coveys of about 25 to 75. I used to slay them now I call them hoping for a reply. I'm looking into seeing if I can purchase and release them.
http://www.qu.org /
Charlie.......havin' a bad news day.
http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org /
Best
Other Other Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:52:13 -0400, William Wagner

Hey OtherOtherBill from NeverNeverLand
Thanks for the good news link.....kinda nice to read summat upliftin' fer a change.
I used to hunt quail also, but gave it up years ago when populations started to dwindle. Same with pheasant.
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Not to mitigate the issue but take a look at night with a flashlight.
You may be surprised to find (as we did a few years ago), a bee sleeping on every flower.
js
p.s. No dill here. Our thumbs turn black when it comes to dill. I am trying some in the new greenhouse now but pickle season is almost here and as usual, not enough dill for a pickle.
js

Hmmmm......I'll double check. I usually walk the garden with a torch after dark, just to see if any of the enemy are active. Didn't notice any bees on dill, but I will check tonite. That would make an interesting picture.
BTW.....have you tried Dwarf Fernleaf Dill? That is all we raise, and it seems pretty easy to grow.
Care Charlie

Wow, I have so much dill - I just let it go to seed and it comes up all over the place. I pull what I don't want, making sure to leave enough for the swallowtail caterpillars (they are so gorgeous!). It seems to be such an easy volunteer plant!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Jack Schmidling wrote:

The problem is, you are trying too hard. Try broadcasting a bunch of dill seed in the fall. It will come up the next year, and reseed itself after that.
Bob