No more gardening for me

Well, health reasons have now made it insane for me to ever stick another piece my body into the dirt or get any of it anywhere on my body.

I was hospitalized for the third time the day after gardening, weeding actually. I am very sick, have very low white blood count and red is also very low for which I shoot Procrit. I had a shot of Nupigen to increase my bone marrow production of white blood cells.

Now, when I go anywhere I have to bring alcohol cloths and wipe the shopping cart off, and apply hand sanitizer after being in public places. Flying may also be risky.

I have stage four cirrhosis, children's class A. The Interferon seems to be working, but I have trouble doing everything. It's rough treatment.

I suppose the point is, I actually paid people to come in and weed for me. I'm fortunate to have the money, but it was never about that anyway. I feel sad, but I do believe gardening days are over for me.

Jangchub

How sad. I bet those gloves they have for first aid, might wiork and garden inside. Try orchids. Most can be grown in moss, or those ceramic pebbles. No dirt involved. Only good for salad but they are pretty.

Reply to
betsyb

It's time to have a greenhouse built and a hydroponic system put in!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The message from Jangchub contains these words:

Never! Adapt your gardening to what's possible and safe in changed circumstances, but don't give it all up. What could you do in raised containers, with soft-surface plants like succulents herbs and salad veg,, and good disposable gloves?

Surely it would be simple and effective to wear cotton washable gloves for shopping trips. I met someone who does this *every* time she steps outside her own home (because of similar health concerns) . Her pristine little gloves are co-ordinated to every outfit along with the ear-rings and makeup.. She has multiple pairs to change, launder and re-use.

A product you might find useful btw is "invisible glove", lots of brands available but I use Dermasand. It's applied *before* any potentially unhygeinic contact. You just smooth it on to form an anti-bacterial skin-barrier on the hands which lasts until you wash it off (used by many masseurs). In the UK , pharmacies stock it to the public.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:46:14 +0100, Janet Baraclough

All very good advice. I will have to see how my labs turn out this week before I do anything. A few years ago I had breast reduction surgery in February. That May I spent nine days in the hospital, they operated to remove the infection and guess what it was that got in there. Yes, actinomycete! The soil in my yard is apparantly like a Stephen King book! The soil wants me.

It took them so long to get me off antibiotics, amoxycillin for six months.

Then there was the time in 94 most will remember I tripped over my late dog Ozzy and stepped right onto a cultivator and it scratched the bone in my left foot. I was in the hospital for 6 weeks, daily sterile whirlpool, wound care for almost 18 months and that infection also came from barnyard animal manures and it turned out it was called Mycobacterium abesses chealonea (spelling may be wrong) and I was the

53 person in the US to be diagnosed with it. I'm in medical books!

After the property is really weeded proper, I'm going to call in a landscape architect and have some decks built for container gardening and also incorporate an aviary for my little parrot, Mikabird.

Once it's all under control I may garden. I always did say that Mark should drag me out an my belly and put a trowel in my hand and I want to die gardening. I just don't waqnt to die at 50!

Jangchub

Victoria, I had wondered how you were doing. I'm so sorry to hear that there is no more gardening for you, but if you have someone weed for you hopefully you can still look at your beautiful garden.

Please take care, and I'll be thinking of you.

Callen in VA

Reply to
Callen Molenda

Perhaps a small Japanese Garden? About 10 feet by 10 feet. Set to take advantage of borrowed scenery. Shrink the 10 X 10 by including a water sculpture. Have a Koi or two. Landscape with a small pine and perhaps a lily. Minimal planting maximum design. Use weed guard and hire a contractor for initial setup. But design it oneself. Very important.

Best!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Thank you Callen. I hate to be morose, but sometimes I think I am simply not going to have a long life. Not this time around. If treatment doesn't work, I will need a liver transplant.

Buddhism has been the one constant in my life beside my darling husband and my Lama's. I guess I'm a bit depressed and this will pass.

The garden look so much better after they weeded, but they worked eight hours and only did PART of the back! I have half acre, all cultivated beds. LOL

Reply to
Jangchub

Yes, once all weeding is done and trash trees are gone (boy can birds plant those things everywhere) I will call in a landscape architect and tell him/her what I want. I didn't know it, but one of those trees which just showed up is a fig! At least they're not all trash! NO GRASS and wood decks, or composit wood is also fab. I can do container gardening on the decks.

I still collect brugmansia's and datura's so those are all in huge 30 gallon containers.

Reply to
Jangchub

ahhhhhh Vinnie.......how I worried about you. Poor sugar.. Well you've had the blessing to have someone like your husband who has been incredible. Maybe with the idea's that your gardening buddies have passed on to you and some tweeking for some raised and container gardens, you can continue onwards. I know the composite decking is good stuff. Son extended my nook deck a titch with it and I adore it. No splinters, easy to clean (if I did) lasts for 75 years... My love and thoughts are with you honey. Keep in touch as you're able. I've been absent this whole season and only recently posted myself. Not that I've not been inspired by the overly weedy Fairy Holler, just caught up in insane stuff....

my love and thoughts Vinnie. (((huge cyber hug)))) maddie

Reply to
madgardener

Best of luck to you.

I'm sure you are aware of the variety of long-handled tools that are available for pulling weeds, digging holes, cultivating, etc. There's a good list of such tools available online at the Ergonica World of Weeds website.

All plants want to grow and blossom. That's their mission in life. It seems that our human destiny is to cultivate, consume and contain the green world around us.

Gardening is good for you.

Jangchub wrote:

Reply to
raycruzer

((((((((((((((((((((((((V)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Reply to
readandpostrosie

Reply to
Marsha

Get you a copy of "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholamew(sic). People in wheelchairs use this form of gardening. It's great.

Reply to
J.C.

As always, you are a dear. And I will take that hug!

love you back, V

Reply to
Jangchub

Physically I can do the gardening, it's my immune system which seems to suck up any massive infection that lives anywhere! One time I had a PIC line directly into my heart and I infused with antibiotics 12 hours a day! And the WORST kind, Vancomyacin and Primaxin.

Reply to
Jangchub

Hmm, sorry to hear that. I wish you well.

Reply to
J.C.

So it is you Victoria. The screen name threw me, but the more I read the thread, the more I realized it was you. Hang in there, I think that someone who loves gardening as much you do will somedaybe able to return to the good dirt.

Tom Allison Park, PA

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer

I wonder if they sell a gardening version of a wet suit or biosuit, LOL. That bacteria just WANT me and has to HAVE me.

I do have to admit paying to have my property weeded is a brilliant idea I never thought of! So, there is an upside to it all. I was in the dumper the other day. I'm better now.

Thanks so much to you all, Victoria

Reply to
Jangchub