No Blooms on Hydrangea

Hello all,
I have two hydrangea plants outside my home in Franklin, MA. Every year they grow larger with the leaves but never seem to bloom with flowers. Is there something that I need to do to get the plants to bloom.
I am obviously new to gardening and these plants where there when I bought the house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sandra
shaded area? do you feed compost and composted cow manure? Do you tend to prune them in winter? Or are they left alone to grow as they will. If you're pruning them late, you're sacrificing the blossoms. If not, fertilize them with organic stuff and lets hope they're just coming into their maturity. What kind do you suppose they are? Lace cap, Oakleaf, pink or blue flowered, most of them require shade, and rich soils. and don't prune them but right after they'd blossom which yours aren't. They flower on old wood (except for the Oak leaf hydrangea, which flowers on the ends of the stems)
There's always next year. So feed the plants, resist pruning and hope they're in the right spot......eastward with dappled shade. madgardener who has four kinds of them now

Sandra, what kind of hydrangeas are they? If they're the florist hydrangeas, then the problem is they bloom on second year growth, and they aren't reliably hardy in our area. You need to protect them with burlap and leaves to get them through the winter, however, last winter nothing would have saved them.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

You are right about that! My hydrangea would not bloom, growing to 5 feet across with huge healthy leaves. Late last fall I put a chicken wire hoop around it, filled it with leaves, removed the leaves after the last frost date, and now it is covered with beautiful blooms. The plant originally came from a florist.