Next gladiolus question

In planting zone 5 do you really have to dig up the bulbs each fall, store them, and then replant them the following spring?
I did a Google search and found the above info but I know that what you read is nor always "carved in stone". In fact, it seems like eveyone used to cover their rose bushes in the fall but now very few, if any, individuals do in our area.
Don

Yes.
Donald Gares wrote:

Hardy gladiolus can be left in the ground.
dedmeat wrote:

I think we will give it a shot and just leave them in over the winter and see what we get the following spring. Heck, at $1.97 for 30 we don't have too much to lose. :-)
Don

Get them out in autumn if you want them to live and plant them in spring when ground temperature is 15 centigrades of celsius. Of course there are various sorts of gladiolus, early, mid or late (flower), the last we plant over here about 15. july.
extincted wrote:

15 centigrades of celsius?

USDA Zone 8b
european measure for temperature

International measurment...even in Canada

Paulo wrote:

Well not in BC. I watch a lot of the CBC news both local and national and I have never heard the weather report say tomorrow it will be 15 centigrades of celsius. They say it will be 15 and on the map it will have the "c" next to the number.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

The big, floofy, commonly found in wedding and funeral bouquet arrangement glads are not reliably hardy in zone 5. Some years, with mulch for protection, we've had some of them (5 to 30%) overwinter next to the foundation. Other years, nada. Varieties called 'hardy' glads, which have smaller, more exotic-looking flowers, are more reliable and with mulch in the fall are reliably hardy.
Glads are inexpensive enough and common enough that I just let em freeze and get me a new color selection in the spring :)
Richard